𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐 - Woeful Chores

The children were in Olaf's bathroom, scrubbing with toothbrushes. Olaf watched them just to smirk at our misery. "Hang on to your toothbrushes, you'll need them for your teeth..." Olaf sneered, with a grim smirk. Veronica sent a small glare at him. The doorbell and Klaus stood up to get it but the villain stopped him and slammed the door. "You'll get used to his taunting eventually, Klaus." Veronica muttered to Klaus, sensing that he was a bit tense with Olaf. He sent her an eyebrow raise and smile, making her giggle. Klaus looked back to see Violet smirking at him, Klaus sent her a glare.

"How do you even manage to live with him?" Klaus asked Veronica. "Well...you just need to do everything he tells you, make sure to do the right thing and don't get on his...bad side..." Veronica replied. Klaus became suspicious when she said 'bad side' quite nervously.

Olaf came back in, with a lam in his hand. They all looked at him with a blank stare. He only took a big bite into the lam, ripping it off with his teeth, making Veronica want to be sick. "You missed a spot." He said, looking at Klaus. "You as well, girl..." Veronica doesn't dare to look at him. "Not to be rude, Father, but you know I have a name." She spat at the villain. "Yeah, I know but I call you girl for my own pleasure." Count Olaf spat back, with a little glare before closing the door with a slam. The children all jumped at bit from the slam and then continued to brush and somehow clean the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~

We sat on the small and single bed together, as Klaus gave a sigh. "I never want to use a toothbrush again..." He said, staring at the dirty toothbrush in his hands. "I've used this one for years. It's even more grim when brushing your teeth with this." Veronica muttered, putting some hair behind her ear and threw the toothbrush on the floor lightly. The door slammed open, as they stood up. "Girl, why aren't you and the Baudelaire's cleaning? My list was very specific." Veronica gulped a little as her breath hitched and replied "We finished it. All of it, the other chores you left for us to do." Olaf snatched the list out of Klaus's hands as Klaus shared a glance with Veronica.

"No, you didn't." Olaf spat to the brunette, before grabbing a pen and scribbling down an extra chore. "We even washed your underwear." Klaus said, standing in front of the young brunette a little. "You missed one. You still have to prepare a large meal for myself and my theatre troupe, girl you should know this by now!" Veronica's body shook in fear, sometimes she hoped that Olaf would just order take out and she wouldn't have to slave over to cook herself. "S-Sorry, Father..." She whimpered, as some of her brown hair covered one of her blue and crystal-like eyes. Olaf rolled his eyes and threw the list at Klaus. "We don't know how to prepare a large dinner..." Violet sighed. "The girl will show you how, and you kids are supposed to be so smart." Olaf scowled. Veronica glared at Olaf, crossing her arms. "How do we purchase anything? We don't have any money!" Klaus said.

Violet and Veronica looked at him and then at Olaf. Olaf took out a greasy bag and shook it at the brunette. Veronica held her hand out, as Olaf tossed it to her, and she put the bag in her pocket of her dress. "It's money...a little bit of it, that is." Veronica whispered to Violet.

"Now quick, get a move on, the troupe will be here at 7 and in the meantime I will be in...can you guess?"

"Your secret tower room?" Klaus and Veronica said in unison. "Wrong! My secret tower room...which you all are forbidden to go into, understood? Forbidden!" Olaf said back. Veronica groaned and rolled her eyes, even though she is used to Olaf's dumb games, she did find it annoying and unbearable. "Forbidden, yes. We know." Veronica said. Olaf scowled at the young brunette and then left the room.

Sunny gurgled something that Veronica wished she could understand. "How are we supposed to make dinner for an entire theatre troupe?" Klaus said, looking at the list. "We start with a recipe." Violet said in reply. "Do you think Justice Strauss' library has any cookbooks?" Violet asked, as Veronica smiled. "Indeed, she does. She has many from Italian cuisine to the world's most threatening fungus!" The Baudelaire's looked at her with delight. "You like to read?" Klaus asked eagerly and had a massive smile on his face. "Oh yes, I love to read! I visit Justice Strauss regularly to get cookbooks or books on other subjects like fantasy, for example!" Veronica replied with her sweet smile.

A newspaper came flying in from the window and it landed in front of the children. The headline read 'Baudelaire's Safe and Sound At Home Of Famous Actor.' Veronica saw the Baudelaire's gloomy faces and grabbed the newspaper, before ripping it in half and tossed it out the window. "I never read the Daily Punctilo. A load of rubbish, if you ask me..." The Baudelaire's chuckled in response before the four children headed to Justice Strauss' home.