Chapter Sixteen: Fun In The Sun

Start from the beginning

The entire line of girls stood completely still, all turning white as a sheet at the sight before them. "T-That's a bear, right?" Kanako asked fearfully. "W-W-Why is it s-so c-close to the c-cabin?!" Itsuki panicked in a whisper. "Huh. Cool," Jasmine commented as she snapped a picture.

Currently, the bear was scratching away at a tree only a little ways away from the porch and hadn't yet noticed them. It was more preoccupied with getting the treat it had found under the bark. However, most wild animals don't take long to sense danger, and it was only seconds later that the bear turned to look at group.

"It-It-It sees us! It's going to charge! It wants to eat us!" Michi screamed at the top of her lungs before booking it back inside. Her reaction caused most of the other girls to scream out in panic as well, with the rest of them following close behind. The only one not to react was Jasmine, who had to be dragged in by the arm by Chiyo. Unbeknownst to the girls though was that they weren't the only ones who had been frightened. Michi's sudden shriek had also sent the bear into flight mode, causing it to dash away in the opposite direction.

"I'm never going outside again!" Michi yelled as she trembled behind the couch. "That was quite scary," Mayu said, breathing a sigh of relief. "W-What was it doing anyways?" Kanako asked. "Maybe it was looking for food," Haruna said, still feeling a little shaken as well. "Aw, it's gone," Jasmine said as she stared out the window.

"Huh? It left already?" Chiyo asked, joining Jasmine. "Yeah, I guess so. I don't see it from here anyways," Jasmine said. "Who cares?! It's probably still out there waiting for us! I bet as soon as we step outside again the beast will maul us!" Michi shouted, still cowering. "Mi-chan, you're making me freak out again!" Itsuki whined. "It's okay everyone. We're safe in here. Just take deep breathes and relax," Mayu said calmly. Itsuki and Michi followed her advice and breathed deeply. "Feel better?" Mayu asked. "Well, kinda. That was still really surprising though," Itsuki said with a sigh. "How about you Mi-chan?" Mayu asked as she turned to the other girl who was now standing up again. "I'm fine, I guess..." Michi answered uncertainly.

With all of the girls back inside (and some too fearful to go back out), they had to try to come up with something to do that wouldn't take them beyond their safe confines. "Hey, what about cards?" Chiyo suggested. "It would kinda suck to stay indoors though..." "Feel free to take on that bear for us then," Haruna said jokingly. "Leave it to me! I'll take it down in one punch! Ya!" Chiyo said proudly as she put out a punching motion, her actions causing some of the girls to laugh.

*****

It was a couple of hours later that Chiyo suggested that the group should go swimming. "Swimming?!" Michi shrieked. "What if that animal is still out there?!" "Come on, there's no way that bear is still around!" Chiyo replied casually. "Don't tell me you want to swim in that creek?" Jasmine asked with disgust. "Well duh, where else would we go?" Chiyo stated. "Besides, all we've done for the last two hours is sit here! I'm booorreed and I wanna do something fun!" "Then go by yourself," Jasmine said flatly. "But I want everyone to go!" Chiyo retorted.

Eventually, after several more minutes of back and forth, every girl agreed with Chiyo. Some of them (Jasmine and Michi) mostly agreed just to shut her up, but regardless, it was decided that they'd be swimming. So, they all went upstairs to get changed.

Once they were all changed, everyone came back downstairs. "Hey, you girls all look fantastic!" Chiyo said happily as she looked around the room. Firstly, there was Mayu. She was wearing a simple, black one piece that held tightly to her frame. It was a perfect fit for her personality. Next there was Itsuki. She was wearing a bikini that was white with small little watermelons decorating it all over. It matched well with her summer-tanned skin and toned frame.