Grace stood in a straight line of maids, between Ruby and Elsie, a sea of black and white. She kept her chin down and hoped that as he had changed in appearance, she had, too, and would not be so easily recognised.

The only room that had been properly opened before Mr Cole had ordered for the assembly had been the drawing room, and the duke and duchess emerged together.

Grace felt a pull in the pit of her stomach as she laid eyes on the duchess. She had always been a very glamorous woman, and a day of travelling had not changed that. Twelve years might have passed, but she still appeared as youthful as porcelain, draped in diamonds and rubies, and dressed in a high waisted red satin gown that looked to be the epitome of fashion in town.

The years had not been as kind to the duke as they had been to his wife. He did look older, his skin a little paler and weathered. He was still dressed exceptionally well, and he greeted the onlooking servants with a respectful nod, whereas the duchess seemed to wear only a sneer, as though there was a foul smell in the air.

The sound of feet descending the stairs caught Grace's attention, but she quickly caught herself and brought her eyes back down. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Adam, Jack and Susanna join their parents in fresh attire. Mr Cole stepped out before them and bowed his head. The rest of the household followed suit, and Grace dropped in a curtsey.

"Cole, it is very good to see you, old man," Peregrine Beresford greeted his butler with an old familiarity.

"We are so very pleased to see you are returned, Your Grace," replied Mr Cole. "I hope the journey was swift and uneventful."

"Yes, well," murmured Cecily Beresford distastefully, as though she was most seriously displeased about something. Though, as Grace had never encountered her otherwise, perhaps this was what she was always like.

Mrs Hayes stepped forward next, motioned to come by Mr Cole, and she was received by boththe duke and duchess. Cecily even smiled, and Grace thought her face might crack. For such a reaction, the duchess must have really liked Mrs Hayes.

"Mrs Hayes, how do you do?" asked Peregrine eagerly as Mrs Hayes curtseyed.

"I am well," she replied earnestly, "and I am very glad to see you all back at Ashwood after so long."

"I thank you all for gathering here to welcome us," Peregrine raised his voice to speak to the hall. "My family and I are very glad to return to our home, and I am grateful to see it in such condition. Maintaining such a house is no easy feat, and you all have my thanks."

"I trust that as much care as is necessary to open the house will be taken regardless of our unexpected arrival," added Cecily, ice in her voice.

Grace suspected then that the duchess' mood, even if she had always seemed put out, was connected to their early return. She wondered if it had anything to do with Jack ... he had seemed sloppily dressed and dreadfully tired. Like he had been drinking. That's what a lot of men in the village looked like when they fell out of the tavern.

He clearly was not a member of the clergy, though when she had last seen him, he had been marrying Grace and Adam.

***

Adam and Grace used the servants' staircase to go down to the library, no running the risk of encountering his mother or his father. Jack could always be found in the library, his nose buried in a book.

They found Jack on one of the settees, lying on his back with his legs in the air, leaning against the back of the sofa. He held his book up in front of his face but craned his neck to see who had entered the library.