Chapter 1

It's August 1st, 2014.  It's nice and bright outside.  I hear birds chirping and I know I need to get out of bed.  First day back at school, oh how much I hate it there.  I get off my queen sized bed and walk to my bathroom. 

I go to the sink and look at my reflection in the mirror above it.  I hate how I look;  I hate my dark brown hair, my black eyes, my big nose and I hate my small lips.  I pick up my pink toothbrush, wet it, put toothpaste on it and wet it again.

I finish brushing my teeth and I go to my drawer.  I put on a black tank and a pair of black skinny jeans.  I go back into the bathroom and put on mascara and some black eyeliner.  People at school call me emo because of my color clothing and the way my makeup looks.  

I walk into the kitchen and see it's only 6:50.  Mom, dad and Brandon are sitting at the round table in the dining area.  They are eating pancakes and bacon.  I make me a plate and join them.  Brandon stares at me and says, "Like the makeup, sis" with a smirk on his face.  I stare into his blue eyes, smile then I punch his arm, "Thanks, bro."  I know he was being sarcastic.  Mom and dad stare at us with their black and blue eyes and they smile.  They're happy Brandon and I get along so well. 

We eat in peace until dad speaks to us.  "Don't wait for me for dinner.  I'm working late today at the bank." He says with a smile on his face.  Mom looks at him with disappointment.  "Ricky, I told you I'd be working late at the station all week!"  Mom rubs her face in frustration.  She speaks again, "Someone need to watch them!" She points at us with her long finger and dark purple painted nail.  

I sigh loudly, thinking it's going to be a stupid argument at 7 AM.  Mom and dad are always fighting and it's getting really old.  I look at Brandon and we both get up and walk into my lifeless room.   

We hear dad now, "Oh my gosh Alice!  Brandon is 17!  He is old enough to watch Diana and himself!"  I look over at Brandon and I see him smiling.  "I knew that was gonna be a stupid argument."  I say as I walk over to get my jacket.  Its practically 80 degrees outside but I need it to hide my cuts and scars.

Brandon knows about my cuts and scars, he had them too.  We are all each other has.  Brandon goes to his room next door and comes back with his light blue backpack on and his dark blue jacket on as well.  I grab my orange backpack and I put on my black and white converse. 

We hear more yelling from our parents, but we ignore them.  "Lets go, Diana.  We're going to miss our bus."  We walk through the kitchen past our parents to the front door.  "I NEED TO WORK EXTRA HOURS TOO! WE WON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY OFF THE HOUSE IF I DON'T!" I hear dad yelling at mom from outside.

Brandon and I put in our ear buds and head to the bus station.  We walk past big houses and big trees.  When we are half way to the bus station, I pull out my ear buds and pull out Brandon's one as well.  "Are you worried?" I stop by a fire hydrant as Brandon keeps walking.  He realizes I've stopped so he stops as well.  I walk up to where he is.  I repeat myself again, "Are you worried?"  He looks at me confused, then continues to walk.  "Worried about what?"  He is so clueless sometimes.  I start walking again too.  

We've reached the bus station  and five people are there.  No one sits on the bench;  it's covered with graffiti and old gum.  Brandon and I stay on the side, away from everyone else.  "Did you hear dad?  He said we won't have enough money to pay off the house." I sigh, worried.  Brandon looks into my eyes and puts his cold hand on my arm, "Don't worry" he sighs and removes his hand.  "They'll figure it out.  If they don't,"  he is cut off by the loud yellow bus approaching.  We get on and sit at the end of the bus.  Brandon speaks under his breath,  hoping that I won't hear him, "we'll be fine on our own."