Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox

Winchesters.

Alex's eyes locked with Sam's, her feet carrying her backwards even as Sam's carried him forward. A flash of flannel from his right side had Alex twisting out of the way, ducking as she went, but an arm caught her across the neck, a band of iron that pinned her against the dusty brick wall. She heard Jody shout, the sound lost beneath the thud of her body and the ringing in her ears. The impact knocked the wind out of her, and Lucifer's grace rattled, rising to her eyes with a violent red glow. No, no, don't — I'm okay!

"Like hell you are!" Dean's face was inches from hers, and Alex slammed her head back against the bricks as warm metal pressed against her neck — had she spoken that aloud? "What are you doing here?"

"Hey, hey, hey!" Sam yanked his brother away, and Alex gasped for air, rubbing at her throat with a scowl. "What the hell, Dean? Give her some space." He pushed himself between the two of them, one hand on Dean's chest to keep him at bay. His eyes studied Alex, darting across her face as he searched for ... something. "What are you doing here?" He repeated his brother's question, softer this time, and Alex dropped her hands to her side.

"Wendigo." Her voice rasped, and she took a moment to steady it. "Couple campers have died up in these woods so I knew something needed to be put down." She tugged the collar of her jacket to the side to show off the ripped shirt, beneath which thin pink lines still marred her flesh, left there by the creature's claws. "Your turn. How the hell did you guys find me?"

Sam and Dean exchanged looks, and Alex took the moment of silence to glance over at Jody; she was watching them, eyes wide. "We didn't," Sam finally admitted.

"Hell, we didn't even know you were in town until you walked around that corner," Dean added, and he reluctantly returned the angel blade to the inner pocket of his coat. "Where's the boytoy, huh? I can't imagine he's far behind."

The scorn in his voice earned him a sharp look from Sam, and Alex lifted her chin, eyes narrowed. "I don't know," she lied. "I haven't seen him since Rowena banished him to the Challenger Deep. For all I know, he's still down there somewhere." She glanced off past Jody, curling her grace around Lucifer's. Winchesters are in town. Get out. She didn't wait for a response before she turned back to the brothers. "So if you're not here for me ..."

Lucifer's grace roiled within her. I'll be right there.

Stay away. You're still weak. I can handle this —

"I'm sorry — can I ask what the hell is going on?" Jody said, and Alex shook herself free from the thought. "What happened between the three of you, huh? I thought you were a team." She crossed her arms, a gesture made awkward by the presence of her coffee cup, but it was enough to have Alex dropping her gaze to the concrete.

"It's complicated," she ground out with a glare towards Dean. "Just a difference in priorities, mostly. Right?"

The Winchester hesitated, and for a moment, green eyes met grey as he contemplated his words. "Something like that," he eventually grumbled, and Alex's wings sagged in relief. "We should get going. The wake starts at sundown." He stalked back towards the car, leaving Alex standing beside Jody Mills. The young angel tipped her head, regarding the brothers with a small frown; maybe Jody hadn't been lying about this Asa Fox character. Dean paused beside the driver's side door. "You coming? Not you," he added sharply as Alex stepped after Jody. "You're not invited."

"Hey." Jody's eyes flashed. "Remember who invited who, huh? She's my guest as much as you are."

"It's okay. I really don't have to come along." Alex started to step backwards, but the sheriff's hand on her shoulder stopped her.