ᴏɴᴇ- 𝙰𝚝𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊

Start from the beginning

"Since you two know the city well, having both of you could be an advantage." Morales nodded as he looked between me and Glenn.

I was still very confused as to what was going on. I was only halfway paying attention because I was still only half-awake.

"It could also be a risk." Shane piped in. "God forbid somethin' happens to both of them, we'll be stuck having to make someone else learn the city."

"I don't know about, Russell, but ain't nothin' happenin' to me." That was an ongoing inside joke between Glenn and me. I called him Russell, the little Asian kid from Up, and he calls me Chris, aka, Chris Griffin from family guy. It was a mean game we played a while back that ended with both of us crying of laughter on a roof while eating gummies. Good times. Glenn has become somewhat of a friend to me, and it was pretty cool having one considering I've only had maybe two my whole life.

Shane knew how stubborn us Dixons could be, and I think a part of him was just trying to protect me for Lori. The fact that she isn't here refusing and making me stay meant she had no idea I had somehow got involved in whatever plan this was.

"If the group splits up, we'll be lost." Morales segued.

"And if they're both in the same group when the group splits?" Ooh, didn't think that far. Leave it to Shane to think of the absolute worst scenario that could actually potentially happen.

"Shane, it'll be fine. We'll be back before ya know it." I confirmed with a smile, still not sure as to what was happening.

"Are you aware of the plan?" He asked skeptically.

"Nope," I said with the same smile, my face never changing. He let out a sigh, knowing Merle wanted me with him. I knew the truth though. Merle didn't trust these people to watch his back like he trusted Daryl, and in desperate times—much like this one—me. Daryl told me he was leaving first thing this morning to hunt by himself because he knew Merle wouldn't be up that early. Hell, no one would. I think he was getting tired of Merle's yapping while they hunted.

Shane reluctantly pushed himself away from the circle. This was his way of saying he agreed to what was happening, even if he didn't want to. I removed my eyes from Shane, looking at the group of people around me.

"So, what's the plan?"

><><><><

It was a good plan, but for some reason, I couldn't shake the horrible feeling in my gut. I knew something was going to happen, I just didn't know what. Then I came to the conclusion that last night's beans did look a little weird, so I played it off as the bean spirits coming back to haunt me.

I gathered my things from my shared tent with Daryl, Grabbing my P365, a few of the various throwing knives I'd been collecting when I was on runs, and the Bowie knife that Daryl gave me a while back for protection. I had carved my initials into the wooden handle as soon as I got it, just like he had with his. I sheathed the large knife, a large belt hung around my waist that Shane found in his Jeep and gave me when I first started going on runs. I had my throwing knives strapped to my thigh, but my P356 and my Bowie knife were both held by the belt.

I slung an empty backpack that I used for runs over my shoulder and waltzed out of the tent, ready to take on the world. Not actually though, because taking on the world would involve a lot of decomposing walkers that smelt worse than dog shit.

"You're going too?"

That small voice made me stop in my tracks. I turned on my heels to see not only Sophia but Carl too. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't grown a little attached to the little rug-rats. The age gap was less than a decade, but having fun with them always beat arguing with my brothers, specifically Merle. I love my brother, I really do, but he could piss off mother Teresa.