Chapter Three | The Locked Drawer

Sage's POV:

Jay made dinner and we ate once Ash came home from work. We asked each other how our days have been and whatnot. "I'm sorry you had a rough day, babe. Come here." Jay said as he wrapped his arms around Ash and kissed her forehead. In my opinion they were the cutest couple ever! "Thanks. I really needed a hug today." She replied after they pulled apart. I offered to wash the dishes so they could spend some time together in the living room. When I was finished I joined them. We watched a few episodes of Parks and Recreation before so remembered the locked drawer I found in the desk upstairs. "Hey Ash, did the realtor give you like a desk key or something when we moved in?" I asked her curiously. She furrowed her brows as she thought and then brightened when something popped into her head. "Actually, yes. She said it went to the desk up in the attic." She said before getting up and going I to her bedroom. When she came back she handed the key I had asked her about. It was small and looked like it was hundreds of years old. The metal was in good condition, but it just looked like it was from a different era.

In all likelihood it probably was from a different era. I thanked her before telling them I was going up to the attic. I just wanted them to k know where I was in case something happened. For the second time that I day I went up two flights of stairs and into what was soon to be my office. The excitement of what could have been locked in the desk seemed to build as I got closer and closer to finding out. 'There's probably nothing but junk in there or something.' I thought inside of my head just so so wouldn't be disappointed. But even that thought didn't calm down my excited heartbeat. I slipped the key into the keyhole of the drawer and turned it; it unlocked with a click and I slowly opened the thing to see what was inside. To my surprise there was an envelope sitting on top of a pile of stuff. 'What the hell?' I thought as I picked up the envelope and examined it. In the same desk drawer there was a silver letter opener, so I used it to carefully open the sealed envelope. Oddly enough it was sealed with red colored wax; the wax was stamped with a strange looking crest as well. There was a letter inside, which wasn't much of a surprise but the contents was.

Dear new home owner/owners,

If you are reading this I probably have met an unfortunate end. I am writing this letter to ask whoever has found it to continue my work. However, you do have a choice. You can fold this letter back up, place it in a newly sealed envelope, put it back into the drawer and lock it back up. Leaving it for the next person or persons to find. But it is your choice and your choice alone. For if you decide to follow this endeavour, I must warn you that it could be very dangerous. Everything you need will be provided in the notebook, newspaper clippings, and photos left behind in this drawer. Good luck and Godspeed.

- H.C.

Goosebumps spread all over my body and my heart started beating quicker than it had been before. My throat was suddenly dry and it was difficult to swallow. It felt like I was suddenly thrown into some kind of mystery movie or book. I always thought that if something like this were to ever happen to me I'd be excited. I was half right, but I was nervous and scared too. I pulled the desk chair out and sat down on it before reaching inside of the drawer for the things listed in the letter. Everything was there. The notebook, the newspaper clippings, and the photos. The newspaper clippings described an unsolved murder. A woman by the name of Elizabeth Green was found stabbed to death in her home just three houses down from the very one I was sitting in. The thought of a murder happening so close gave me the chills. As I read on I learned that her fiancé Daniel Brühl was suspected as the killer, but the police didn't have any evidence to warrant an arrest. 'Is it the same Daniel that I met in the grocery store and then the park?' I wondered. If the townspeople truly believe that he is responsible for the murder of his then fiancée, that would explain why they dislike him so much.