Chapter Fifteen | Back Home

Sage's POV:

Jay and I were a little nervous about going to meet up with Joe. Although we really didn't have to be nervous since we've talked to him before. But maybe it's because we hoped the information we had actually lead to something this time. The two of us were early, so we ordered something to eat for a late lunch. He ordered a hamburger with fries and a strawberry milkshake. I ended up getting breakfast with coffee. Our food arrived just as Joe joined us. We let him order something to eat before we started talking about the Elizabeth Green case once again. Although we talked about random stuff when the waitress came by to refill our drinks. We really didn't want anyone to know what we were actually discussing. The only good thing was that no one was sitting near us. I told Joe what Emily told me over the phone before showing him the page we found in one of Elizabeth's journals. He sat there for a few moments before actually speaking up. "This might convince some of my fellow officers to reopen the case. I'll just have to talk tot he right people about it though." He said, which made my mood improve. But I told myself not to get too hopeful. Especially since Chris Folk might not be the killer.

The only way could find out though is to look into him and his record. That is of he does have a police record. We left the diner with high hopes. "You wanna go see Daniel?" Jay asked after we were in the car. "Yeah, sure. I'm sure he'd appreciate a surprise visit." I replied with a smile. I was so glad that he wanted to visit him as well. When we got to the hospital he wasn't in his room; the nurse said he was on a walk through the halls. So we just sat down and waited for him to return. Once he saw us a huge smile spread across his handsome face. I couldn't help but smile in return. "Hey guys!" He said happily, which really warmed my heart. He gave Jay a hug first before giving me one. I snuggled into his chest, and he gently tightened his arms around me. His nurse helped him back into his bed where he got comfortable. We made small talk for a while just to see how he was feeling today. "So... when did they say you'd be getting out of the hospital?" Jay asked curiously. "I'll have to spend two more days in here before I can go home." He replied. "I'll spend a few weeks with you if you want, just to make sure you aren't over doing it." I said and a cute smile spread across his face. "I'd love to have you stay with me." He replied. I didn't want him to be all alone in his big home. Besides, he'd need someone to collect firewood and whatnot due to his broken arm.

Eventually we said our goodbyes. We left later than planned, so we picked up a pizza before heading home. Neither of us wanted to go home and make Ash cook after a long day of hard work. The three of us talked about what Joe had said as we ate. Then we watched some tv before playing some video games together. At midnight Jay and I finally decided to go to bed. I changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed. A few days passed without a single word from Joe. All of us were a little worried if he managed to convince some of his co-workers to reopen the Elizabeth Green case.... again. I really really hoped that we were on the right track this time. "When you get to his place give me a call. I wanna make sure you guys made it there safely." Jay said as I finished eating breakfast. "I will." I replied before going to brush my teeth. He helped me carry my packed bags in my car. I had more stuff with me than usual just because I was staying longer away from home. Jay and I said our goodbyes before I got in the driver's seat and went on my way. I listened to some music during the drive to the hospital. Once I reached my destination, I went up to Daniel's room. We hugged before his doctor gave him some instructions on how to take care of his healing wounds. Then I gave him some clothes that I picked up for his place for him to change into.

After he got dressed we left the room and entered the elevator. "I'm so glad to get out of here. I'm so sick of eating the horrible food here. Plus... I've really missed spending days and nights with you." He said as he gave me a sweet hug. "I've missed that too." I replied as I hugged him back. We went to pick up his prescriptions before going to the store to pick up groceries. He chose to stay in the car since he was a little sleepy, plus he didn't want anyone to see him at the moment. I honestly didn't blame him. Since everyone here practically hates him they'd outwardly make fun of him. Hell, some would probably ask who had beaten him up. I got a bunch of meats, produce, eggs, bread, milk, etc. Everything that I know he probably needed to throw out once we got to his house. As I was paying for everything my mind started wondering about Joe and the case. 'Stop worrying about that right now. Daniel needs your attention.' I said inside of my head. I pressed my thoughts aside as I left the store. Daniel helped me put everything in the car even though I said he didn't have to. Then we headed on the long drive to his place. The two of us talked; as we did so I tried best to avoid talking about the investigation. All I wanted was for him to focus on is healing and getting better.

He helped me take everything inside once we reached his place. I started making a fire while he slowly started putting the groceries away. It was really cold since no one had been there for a while, and I wanted it to be warm inside before it was night time. So as the fire was burning I brought in some firewood as well. Then I went to help him put things away. "Are you hungry?" I asked once the work was finished. "Yeah, a little." He replied as his stomach let out a loud growl. We giggled a little before asking him what he wanted. He wanted a large breakfast, which wasn't really surprising. Especially since he hadn't been eating much at the hospital. I made him scrambled eggs, bacon, a has brown, and a couple of pancakes. I made a fresh pot of coffee as well. I made myself something to eat as well since I was a little hungry as well. The two of us sat at the table and ate together as we talked. He told me about his days at the hospital, which were interesting. Mostly when he spoke about the funny encounters with other patients. "I'm glad I'm home. Now I can sleep instead of being woken up almost every hour or so." He said with a little laugh. After we ate we went into the living room to warm up by the fire and watch tv. We snuggled into each other's side as well, which was really nice. I hadn't realized how much I missed this until now.

How much I missed being close to him. All of a sudden I remember that I promised to call Jay, so I quickly called him and returned to Daniel's side. "Did you tell him we made it here safely?" He asked me curiously. "Yeah." I replied with a small smile. Eventually his arm started hurting, so he took some of his medication. Then I started making us dinner. I told him he didn't have to help, so he just sat at the kitchen table and talked with me. It felt good to be spending time with him here at his place instead of visiting him at the hospital. We had privacy and it's much more comfortable here as well. As I made us some homemade soup I suddenly wondered what Joe was doing. I wondered if he got the chance to talk to his fellow officers. I really hoped that he had, or he was going to soon. "What are you thinking about?" He asked me as he wrapped his arms around me from behind. It was a pleasant surprise; it helped me get out of my thoughts and come back to reality. "Not much. Just some stuff Jay, Ash, and I were talking about a few days ago." I replied. "Oh." He replied as he gently tightened his arms around me. My insides warmed as he did so. I ended up turning around to hug him back.

I wanted him to feel warm inside too. "I'm so glad I have you in my life, Sage. I haven't met someone as sweet as you since...." He trailed off and was quiet for a little while before he spoke up again. "Since I met Elizabeth." He whispered. We slightly broke our hug and he rested his forehead against mine. I instinctively closed my eyes. "You aren't a reincarnation of her.... are you?" He asked softly. "No. I mean... I don't think I am." I replied softly as well. When I opened my eyes I saw him open his eyes as well. We tightened our hug again and I snuggled my head in his chest. My heart was so full in that moment. I felt safe and warm as well. After a while we slowly broke the hug; I went back to cooking the pot of soup that was sitting on the stove. Once the foods was done we filled our bowls and sat at the kitchen table. As we ate we talked for a little while. He asked me about my friends even though he had seen them during our visits to the hospital to see him. When we were finished eating I washed the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. The phone started ringing, so I dried my hands before answering it. "Hello?" I said in a questioning tone.

"Hey, is this Sage or Daniel?" I heard Ash ask on the other end of the line. "It's me." I replied. "Okay, good. I wanted to let you know that Joe called us. He said he had been trying to reach you but you weren't answering your phone." She said. "That's the curse of not having cell service up here," I said with a little laugh. "What did he say?" I asked. "He said he talked to a couple of his friends in the police department. He thinks if he can convince one more person then he can get the case reopened." She replied with a little bit of excitement in her voice. The two of us talked about what Joe had told her. I was feeling really excited because it sounded like he was actually going to get the police department to investigate this case again. I just hoped that they didn't wanna ignore the evidence on Chris Folk and start looking at Daniel again. Ash and I said our goodbyes after a while. When I walked into the living room I saw Daniel asleep on the couch. The tv was on, but the volume was low. He was particularly covered up in a soft blanket as well. I walked over and slowly sat down next him. I pulled the blanket closer around him; I covered myself up as well. When I started feeling sleepy I gently woke him up.

I made sure that the fire was well stalked up with wood to keep the house warm. Then we went upstairs to get ready for bed. "Can we sleep next to each other tonight? I've really missed your cuddles." He said adorably. "Of course. I've missed your cuddles as well." I replied with a smile. We went into his bedroom and climbed into his bed. I snuggled against him once we covered up. It didn't take me long to fall asleep in his arms.

+++++++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3