Chapter 5: Bastard Tonuge

Start from the beginning

"Is that what you think I did? I killed the wretched knight in front of the holy church. Isn't that severe enough?" When we drifted to the end of the hall, we entered the garden. The trees bear fruit, and water rushes through the fountain, flowing down the stream. The flowing river circled the perimeter of the garden. I dipped my fingers in and felt the coolness of the fresh water. I cupped some, and brought it to my lips. The taste of cool water to parched lips and a thirsty soul felt refreshing.

"One act of justice won't change all of England, Zach." My eyes shot open, I couldn't believe what he was saying. Francis, a member of the nobility class, brother to the Lord. Who could possibly guess that a serf girl could think the same way as someone who is actually educated? "You seem surprised."

"You sounded just like her, the serf girl. I don't understand how a serf girl could-."

"That's bastard tongue. Don't assume just because someone can't read or write that they are automatically a stupid wanker. Serfs, nobility, the two simply learn differently. Although most serfs lack most knowledge, serfs bear something that even the highest of nobility rank do not possess."

"And what is that?" he turned me around and stared into my eyes. Slowly he whispered a thought that echoes in my head and haunts me. Something that made me slowly rethink what I thought I knew.

"Common sense." My brother indeed wise. I often find myself learning from him.

"Oh Francis, I regret even holding this damn meeting. I wanted guidance from the noble. Guidance to make wise decisions and to pursue this from an effective angle. I brought these people here, when in truth your opinion is the only one that matters to me." A sweet thankful smile appeared on his face and he pat my back gently. "What do you think I should do Francis? This whole incident, it's such a mess. The investigation is terribly unorganized. I don't even know what to do with myself. What else could I possibly do? I've done everything legitimately possible,"

"Well, perhaps it's about time you did something illegitimate." Francis took a bottle of beer from his person and poured it into the rushing water. Francis was always good at thinking outside of the box, something I was never good at. That way of thinking drove into plenty of trouble, but has been proven useful.

"Go on."

"Pushing the fences, expanding our boundaries. There's a serf down there that knows something. To the serfs, you Lord Zacharias Griffin, resemble a God high upon his pedestal. They're waiting brother, waiting for Jesus to come down from heaven and to walk the earth once more. Don't keep them waiting long."

"You're saying I should communicate with them, but where do I even start?" Where does one start, conversing with a species that's not his kind? What would they talk about? How would they relate? The community of serfs is so unknown to me, it might as well be an uncharted labyrinth.

"Even I have no clue how to talk to them, but you know what I think? I think a certain little serf bitch is the key to this mystery, don't you agree?"

"... Noel Blakeway. The first intelligent serf woman."

"That you know of." he corrected me.

"You suspect the lot of them to be intelligent?"

"You never know. But she is the closest you've ever been to a serf. Besides, it gives you a chance to have some fun. Is she attractive?" I smacked him on the back of his head. "Oi! Dammit Zacharias, I was only kidding."

I rolled my eyes and returned to the ballroom, but he was right. Beyond this castle is a world I never knew. There's a serf down there that knows the truth behind the church heist. To get to the serfs, I have to start with the closet thing I've got. Noel Blakeway, just what do you know that I don't?