Chapter 12- Chase

"Chase. Listen to me."

I roll my eyes and let my gaze settle on him (I'm glaring). "What do you want."

Levi ignores my hostile tone/expression/everything. "Just because you were vulnerable to one person earlier, doesn't mean you have to be super aggressive to everyone else for the rest of the day."

I set my jaw firmly and don't take my glare off him.

"Do you feel guilty? Is that it?"

I still don't respond.

"Chase, you've got to work with me here. Nate and Jordan will be here in a little while and you don't need to be any more aggressive to Jordan than you already were earlier."

"I don't care. What's your point?"

"My point is that you need to chill out. Ashley took it really well. You have no reason to feel guilty. Is it because you feel like you lied to her, or cheated on her? Because-"

"It's not that," I grind out.

"Then what is it? I'm not a mind-reader, Chase, you've got to help me. Is it-"

"No, it's that I don't-" I clamp my mouth shut and look away.

It's silent for a moment, before Levi asks, "It's that you don't what?"

I let out a short sigh. "I don't know if... I mean, we were exclusively dating, right? But she was fine with me kissing other people at parties, and now she doesn't even seem that upset that I broke up with her."

"You don't think she actually wanted to be exclusive?"

"I don't know if she actually wanted me at all."

"Then why was she dating you?"

"Because I'm the captain of the basketball team and she's on team basketball of the student body."

"That's still you."

"No, it's my position. My social standing- I don't know."

"Chase, this is Ashley we're talking about. Do you really believe she'd use you like that?"

"Do you think she'd have dated me if I wasn't the team captain?"

He's quiet. I sigh and lean back on the couch.

"Yeah. That's what I thought."

"Chase-"

"No, it's fine. I'm just..."

"Disappointed?"

"I guess. And... frustrated, because how am I supposed to figure out my sexuality when I'm still thinking about this? And I have Werewolf to deal with, and this whole punishment thing..."

"First of all: you don't need to figure out anything. Second: there's no deadline. Your sexuality isn't going anywhere, you've got plenty of time. Third: let yourself deal with what you're feeling with Ashley first, then you can worry about your sexuality. It's easier to get a clear answer on that when you're not emotional. I thought I was bi at one point, but really I was just lonely and dealing with the last remnants of internalized homophobia. So..."

I sigh. "Okay."

"But don't take your feelings with this whole Ashley thing out on Jordan."

"But that's the easiest way!"

He rolls his eyes. "Then you need to find a healthier outlet. Wanna play some b-ball?"

I jump up from his couch and start towards the sliding door that goes to the backyard. "Yes."