Chapter Three

My mood right now was simple: confused. Well, the mood that I was in wasn't very simple, but it seemed simple because I knew my mood and what to call it. See what I mean? I was in a state of confusion. Driving probably wasn't the best idea, but I needed to get out of that house, I needed fresh air and I needed to clear my head. I found myself on the same road that I was driving along last night. That triggered memories too. Memories of the thing that ran across the road in front of my car.

This whole clearing-my-head thing wasn't working. I needed to get off of this street. I made a U-turn and headed towards a park I knew of. On the way there, One Republic started singing through my speakers.

Well, all I need

Is the air I breathe

And a place to rest

My head

That definitely described me right now. I didn't need anyone at the moment. I just needed a place to clear my head, and breathe for once. Or maybe I did need someone? I had always thought that I was better off by myself, especially at school. No one at school knew exactly what happened in my life, no one knew my exact story. Except for Lucie. Lucie had been my friend since fifth grade, when some girls were making fun of me. She dumped a carton of milk on them. As I watched that moment from my spot on the floor (they had pushed me) I knew we were going to be the best of friends. No one had ever stood up for me before, not since my brother went to school and he was three years older than me so when that happened, we weren't even in the same school.

Anyways, Lucie and I clicked instantly. We told each other trivial secrets, and gossiped and had sleepovers. Just like all the other pre-teen girls. Except for one thing..the sleepovers were never at my house. Back then, my dad was still around and there was no way I would risk Lucie seeing him like that. I was afraid she would leave me, and not want to be my friend because I had a messed up family.

Lucie had the perfect family, the cookie-cutter life. She had homemade meals for dinner and her family sat around the table. Her family played outside and went on family vacations to cool exotic places. She'd been to Aruba, Mexico, Brazil...Countless places that I've only been in my dreams.

That's why I felt like if she knew how dysfunctional my family was, she'd get scared.

In the midst of all this thinking, I'd somehow managed to make it to the park alive. I parked my car and looked around. It seemed pretty crowded. I got out and shivered. Man, it was cold. I pulled my jacket closer to me as I walked around to find a bench. I sat down.

I had been sitting there for awhile when I felt my phone vibrate in my jacket pocket. I pulled it out, expecting it to be a text from my mom or maybe Lucie. Nope. An unknown number. I opened it, and it said:

I see you, Kels.

I gasped, my eyes widening in shock. What the heck? I looked around, scanning the treeline behind me for anyone there. It appeared to be empty. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I felt someone watching me. A shiver ran down my spine, and I didn't think it was from the cold. This was getting way too creepy for my liking. I stood up and brushed my jeans off. I walked away from the bench that I previously occupied. As I walked to my car, my phone vibrated again. I looked at the message from an unknown number.

Why are you walking away?

Okay, that was it. I picked up my pace and fast walked away. I got to my car and climbed in. I locked the doors before I did anything else. I still felt watched though.

UNKNOWN POV:

She looked so troubled as she sat on the bench. I wished I could just take her up in my arms and comfort her and tell her everything was alright. But I couldn't. I sent her a quick text message. Seconds later, I saw that she received it. She looked alarmed, and I couldn't blame her. The texts were probably overkill but it was the only way I knew to get in touch with her, for I couldn't reveal my true identity as much as I was falling for her.

A/N: hi guys! it's currently 9:20pm where I live, and I literally just wrote this chapter in an hour. While eating cheerios. I'm cool :3 Ok anyways thanks for reading! not my best chapter, I bet, but you know what..it's an update. SOO...tell people about it..tell me what you think, comment, fan, send me a message..kthanksbye <3

Christine

PS go follow my friend directionerpalace for me! she's writing a fanfic called Just A Fan and it would mean the world to me, and to her, if you fanned her and checked out her story, shot her a message.. ok now i'm done BYE GUYS xxx