Chapter Five

I heard sirens and unfamiliar voices. I tried to sit up but a hand pushed me back down.

"Don't try to sit up, you're still weak," a deep voice said.

No need to tell me twice. I flopped back down on the strange surface. It was slightly uncomfortable and completely flat.

I'm not at home, I thought. I couldn't think of anything else as I passed out.

~*~*~*

My eyelids fluttered open. I heard a steady beeping sound in the background. I turned my head and winced. That certainly didn't feel good. My eyes took in the beige walls and white tiled floor. Panic registered in my brain. I sat up quickly causing me to be dizzy and light headed. Pain shot through my ribs as I was unable to sit up any longer. I looked over to see someone sitting in the chair beside my bed. I was already finding it difficult to keep my eyes open as a male voice said, "It's okay Kelsey."

That was the last thing I heard before I blacked out again.

~*~*~*~*

I opened my eyes wearily as sleep tried to pull me back in. I looked at my arm and noticed an IV amongst other tubes. I heard footsteps and looked up just in time to see a male figure with dark hair exiting my room. I opened my mouth to call out to him, to ask him who the hell he was, but my throat was completely dry. I put my head back on the pillow and yawned.

A nurse came into my room and smiled at me. Why is she so cheerful?

"Your mother is here to see you, Kelsey," she said warmly.

I stared at her blankly. Why was she telling me this? She must have noticed the confusion on my face because she added "It's up to you whether or not you're awake enough for visitors."

Oh. "Yeah she can come in," I muttered, annoyed at myself for being stupid.

She disappeared and a few minutes later my mom walked in the room. "Oh honey!" She gushed as she rushed to my bedside. She buried her head in my hair and shoulder as she sniffled.

"Mom are you crying?" I asked her in disbelief.

"No.."

"Oh really?"

"I see you're awake," she said changing the subject.

"I've only been awake for fifteen minutes."

"How's it been? Are they feeding you? Checking up on you?" My mother rattled off her endless list of questions that all mothers have memorized.

"Mom-"

"How many times have you gone to the bathroom?" She continued on, ignoring me.

"Mom I-"

"Is the staff nice?"

"MOM!" I shouted.

"What dear?" She asked flustered.

"I haven't been awake to find out the answer to ANY of your questions," I said flatly.

After she interrogated me some more, it was time for lunch. A different nurse with auburn hair brought me a sandwich, milk and fresh fruit. My mother went to the cafeteria to get a sandwich of her own. I muted the TV that I didn't even realize had been on.

While eating, I said to my mom, "You missed Josh earlier."

She just stared at me. "What are you talking about?"

"Josh, your son? My brother? He was here," I explained.

"Kel, that's impossible."

"What do you mean?"