Crossin' the Border

CHAPTER 2 - Crossin' the Border

When I reached Escalera I stopped in the small diner to get something to eat. It was a two day ride from here to Hope Plain and I probably wouldn't have time to stop to eat after I crossed the border. I hitched my horse and stepped inside. The short Mexican man asked what I wanted to eat as soon as I sat at one of the tables. He looked tired and aggravated. "Surprise me."

He looked at me for a moment longer before running into the kitchen. I didn't have to wait long since there weren't many people inside. There was a table in the back corner that was full and the men sitting there were loud and obnoxious. I tried to ignore them. I sat there thinking over what I was going to say to Ella to keep her from marrying Lucas. He wasn't right. There was something about him that just didn't add up.

"Here you go." The waiter set my food on the table and I stuffed my face full of fried chicken and corn. I put a dollar on the table when I was finished and stepped out of the small diner. It smelled like rain. Great.

I hopped down the steps and crashed into someone. I looked up to see a dark haired girl fall to the ground. "I'm so sorry, Ma'am." I quickly said as I helped her up. She smiled and shook her head.

"No need to apologize, I wasn't payin' attention to where I was walkin'." She said as she brushed off her mint green dress. I felt bad, she was tiny and I'd just pumbled her to the ground. She checked her hair, which was in a low bun, before meeting my eyes again. "I didn't catch your name."

"I'm Britt, and you are?"

"Mary Beth Dawson. It's nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand and I took it. I helped her onto the porch of the diner before turning to leave. "Wait, what's your last name, Mr. Britt?"

"Mason."

Mary Beth's eyes widened and an excited smile spread across her face. Her eyes sparkled and she clasped her hands together. "Are you by any chance related to a Mr. Cole Mason?"

"Yes, Ma'am. That's my father." I was surprised she knew my Paw's name. She looked my age.

"Oh, goodness! He saved my life when I was just a girl! How is he?" She excitedly asked. I couldn't help but grin.

"He's doin' alright. He and Mama are livin' out on Hope Plain. They got a ranch out there. That's where I'm headin'."

"Oh, well don't let me keep you. Tell him I said hello! Your Mama too. I doubt they remember me, but boy do I remember them... Have a safe ride, Mr. Britt." She smiled brightly before turning to walk into the diner. I tipped my hat and stepped down from the porch. She was a beautiful woman, but I didn't have time for that right now. I mounted my horse and headed north. In half an hour I'd be crossing the border. I had to be careful from here on out.

__

The sound of hooves clinking against the wooden bridge filled my ears and made me nervous. I hesitated at the U.S. end of the bridge before crossing over. I scanned the area and saw the watch patrols were gone. My horse and I hit the ground running when I'd finally decided it was safe. The sun was low in the sky and I was thankful. It was mid-summer and it was a hot one. The wind was hot and humid. I knew it was going to rain sooner than I thought.

I'd made it about three miles from the border when I spotted a wagon and two men on horses riding in my direction. I casually angled my horse away from them and kept going. They were too far away to tell who I was, so if they were Marshals, they probably, hopefully, wouldn't pay me any mind. I was relieved when they didn't.