"You don't have to worry about me, Liv," he said with a small smile on his face and ruffled my hair in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"You're my brother, Jace. I'm always going to worry about you," I said sincerely, and prayed that he'd fight his demons soon.

 I'm always going to worry about you," I said sincerely, and prayed that he'd fight his demons soon

I was late for my first lecture, and a big deal could be made of it here. I couldn't walk around like I owned the place, with my haughty air, and get away with things because of who I was. We had every privilege we wanted, but none when it came to attending the lectures and doing the tasks in regards to our courses. If anyone tried to mess with the policy, the repercussions were quite simple.

We had three warnings per semester, and if we blew them, then we'd lose some of our shares to the University donors, or we could withdraw our admission.

What better way to keep heirs in check than having the power to disinherit them.

Life had always been a game to me, I was emotionally disconnected to most things that happened to me. But I never backed down from a good challenge, and calling Arcadia challenging would be an understatement.

I had no intention of losing this game.

I finally reached the desired building and rushed to the lift. Thankfully, I found it to be available and empty, I quickly got in and pressed the button for the 8th floor.

I thought I heard someone say from the other end, "Wait, hold the door."

Sorry, I don't have time to wait. I shook my head, and unapologetically pressed the button to close the doors instead.

The doors were just about to close when I heard a loud pair of footsteps. Suddenly, a hand reached in between the closing doors.

"Are you absolutely crazy?" I questioned in outrage and quickly pressed on the button to open the doors. A guy slid in the space, and the doors closed. I looked up to stare at the imbecile, and to my surprise, I found myself staring back into a set of familiar sea-green eyes. My eyes had widened while his eyes were narrowed at me. His scowl transformed into a heartwarming grin on noticing me.

Of course, Adrian Carter was here. Why hadn't I foreseen his infuriating presence?

He hadn't bothered me much after our last call, sometimes he texted me to annoy me or sent me random pictures and memes. But we never really discussed anything of importance, only bickered with each other. I discreetly checked him out, and with freshly tousled hair and bright smile, he was a sight for sore eyes.

"You definitely have a strange way of showing that you missed me. But don't you think handicapping me is a little too much, even for you?" He said in a thoroughly amused tone, and I scoffed.

"If I had known it was you, I would have gladly allowed the doors to close," I said in a snarky tone, and he laughed wholeheartedly. His deep throaty laugh was contagious, I lightly bit on my lip to suppress my smile.