"That's great! I love this, awww! Of course I already knew, but what I don't get is why you're so sad about that. You like him, right?" 

"Well yeah, but he doesn't like me back." 

Alice cackled, even her witchiest and most obnoxious laugh still sounding delicate and musical. "Nice one." she said.

"I'm serious, Alice. When he told me about the imprint he said it shouldn't amount to anything and it isn't always a lover's connection, and that I don't need to worry about that stuff." Even remembering it hurt. God, why did I feel so strongly for this dude and why wasn't it going away!

Alice looked genuinely confused at that. "He said what?" 

I looked away from her, not bothering to repeat myself, knowing she'd heard the first time.

"Okay that's not what I expected...he likes you so much what!" Alice poured out.

I shrugged. "Clearly everyone's been misinterpreting the signs. I mean in the hospital when I was on drugs I admitted I had feelings for him and he didn't say anything back, just that he cared about me which looking back now definitely sounds like code for 'ahh you're high and you're in the friend zone', but all I know is until I can get my feelings in check and stop feeling for him the way I do, I'm not hanging out with them. It's too hard just yet. I have too much going on to worry about that right now." I justified, attempting to convince Alice I was being rational.

Alice looked to her left, out the window, looking guilty and bit her lip looking back at me. "I didn't know...I'm really sorry," she said, averting her eyes from mine in remorse.

"Huh? Know what?" 

Before she could answer, the door to Four Beans swung open and the Quilleute boys walked in. 

"Oh god." I groaned, putting my head in my hands. 

I heard Seth call out first. "Juliet!" I peaked through my fingers and saw the pack waving at me completely clueless. I returned it with a slow, uncomfortable wave and a fake smile, only made worse when they made their way over.

"Hey Seth," I greeted, not having the balls or evil nature to be rude with Seth because he's so pure and sweet.

"We missed you, where have you been! Oh hey Alice," he acknowledged politely, smiling at her unlike Paul who was as far away as possible. 

"Ah I've just been busy with school and stuff," I lied, looking down at my hands.

I looked up to see Jacob push Jared through the group so he would be closer to me. "Hey Juliet," he said nervously, testing the waters and most likely thinking I was mad at him.

It hurt looking at him. "Hey Jar," I responded, biting my lip after.

"You coming by this weekend then?" Embry offered, all of them looking at me hopefully.

"Come on, Leah and Emily miss you and you still have so much training to do," Sam affirmed, extending the invite.

I didn't want to be put on the spot, I needed a little more time to break the connection with Jared. Being this close to him as he stood over me radiating nervousness and engulfing my senses with his smell, his aura, his deep brown eyes, it was too much. 

This whole week, my senses had been in overdrive. Growing everyday since 'the announcement' and especially after I'd begun playing around with my powers. And right now, standing in front of Jared, I was noticing things about him I never had before.

His shaven stubble around places he missed on his jawline, his left dimple, the ever so faint flecks of hazel in his eyes.

How was this supposed to be helping my feelings at all when my feelings are literally being dialled to 11?