The Proposal

Mulai dari awal

Alex could only reply with a nod. His eyes thick with nerves, his stomach in bits. It was nearly time.
.
.
"Thank you Mr and Mrs Standall, that was lovely." Charlie smiled, still cutting into his final piece of beef. "What is the plan this evening?"

Alex stared his dad in the eyes, motioning for him to play his part, so he could make the perfect exit. The only problem was, they had failed to discuss how Alex would leave the house, at least without looking suspicious. Bill quickly registered, pulling an interactive board game from under the table, earning a glare of confusion from his son.

"I thought we could play this as a family." He suggested, motioning for Peter to open the box. "I do think it needs batteries though, I'm not sure if we have any?" At this point Alex could have mentally face palmed, this had to be the most ridiculously obvious exit ever. Nevertheless, he played along.

"Hey, how about I drive round to the corner shop and pick some up?" Alex smiled, pulling away from the table as he fumbled in his pocket for his keys.

"Want me to come with you?" Charlie replied, standing to follow.

"No no, you've gotta stay here with me St.George, we've got to discuss football tactics for your next big game." Peter chucked, placing a friendly pat on his shoulder. "Always best to have a sport talk while Lex is out of the house." He joked, earning a middle finger from his younger brother.

"I won't be long baby." Alex pressed a kiss to Charlie's head before walking to leave. His heart was in his mouth, he could feel the nerves building. Gosh this was hard.
.
.
"He's been nearly an hour now, do you think he's okay?" Charlie had begun to panic after 45 minutes passed, his conversation with Peter ending at least 20 minutes ago. He was constantly checking his phone. What if something had happened?

"I'm sure he's okay sweetie, traffic can be bad in our area." Carolyn reassured, placing a cup of tea in front of him. She was desperately trying to distract him, nodding at her husband as he slipped out the back door, Alex's best suit in hand.

Not even a second later Charlie felt his phone buzz in his Jean pocket, pulling it out to see the face he'd been missing flashing on the screen.

"Hey Lex, where are you?" He spoke quickly, his protective nature lacing his words. "Is everything okay? You've been ages!" He said, eyes widening in confusion as he saw Carolyn and Peter begin to grin.

"Can you remember how you asked me to prom?" Alex hummed softly, earning an apprehensive "yes" from his boyfriend.

"I spent days trying to ask you, pulling all sorts of grand gestures until you finally said yes in that  math cupboard I decorated." Charlie giggled as he reminisced, still overthinking the current conversation's relevance, but enjoying the memory nevertheless. "Where are you Lex? What's going on?"

"Well, I seem to have gotten lost on my way home, I'm up near the school." Alex began to giggle over the phone. "You'll have to come and find me St.George." He ordered cheekily, biting his lip as he heard his boyfriend's breath hitch in confusion.

"I love you." Was the last thing he said before hanging up the phone, both his fingers and toes crossed as the plan began to fall into motion.

"Here's your coat Charlie, I suppose you'll have to go and get him." Carolyn was beaming like a child, and it was at that point Charlie realised something was happening. He just wasn't sure what.

As he went to step onto the porch, the dark night sky an the bitterness of the February evening hit him as he looked down to pull his zip to his neck. He walked down the steps absent mindedly, his eyes widening as he looked up to see Jessica stood in his path.