The Test

Of course it was raining. Alex watched the droplets hit his bedroom window almost melodically, the pathetic fallacy ironic as the grey skies surrounded him. It had been a week since Justin's funeral, and today was the day he was being tested for HIV, a day he had been dreading since he found out about Justin's diagnosis.

He knew he should have called the clinic earlier, weeks ago even, but both him and Jess wanted to focus on Justin in his last days, their own health not on their mind.

It was 5:45am. Alex couldn't have slept for more than an hour, and decided to end his constant stream of tossing and turning by watching the sunrise from his house's porch. He took a final look at his beautiful Charlie, the boy currently spread out starfish amongst his sheets, an almost inaudible snore crackling through his lips.  Alex's lips curled, his eyes softening as he pressed a kiss to his messy hair before silently leaving the room.

A sunrise in Evergreen was positively beautiful, even in the rain. Alex always found peace in it, even on his darkest days. It signified new beginnings, new chances to live life to the fullest. Two things Alex tried so hard to do. If his near death experience had taught him anything, it was that he had been given a second chance, a second chance to prove to not only Hannah, but also Justin that he could be a good person, if not for himself, but for them.

He cupped his coffee in his hand, allowing it's steam to warm his face as he looked up at the sky. He was terrified, but oddly calm about the day ahead. He didn't feel alone anymore, and that had changed everything for him. No matter what the results were, he knew he had Charlie to fight just another battle by his side.

"You've got your overthinking face on." Charlie whispered, chuckling softly as Alex flinched, turning around to see his boyfriend stood before him, wrapped in his fluffy grey blanket.

"What are you doing awake?" Alex breathed, patting the step he was sat on, motioning Charlie to join him. "It's like six in the morning Charles."

"I can't sleep without you by my side." Charlie blushed, pressing a kiss to Alex's hair as he leaned over him. "Plus, I thought you must be freezing just in your sweats, so I brought you a blanket and a bear hug." The younger boy giggled draping the blanket over Alex's thin frame before wrapping his arms around the back of him. "No matter what happens today, it's all going to be okay Lex."

Alex relaxed back into Charlie's embrace, his hand moving up to intertwine itself between the boy's fingers. "I know, I know, it's just scary you know?" He hummed, accepting gratefully as Charlie stroked back his hair in comfort. "Thank you for doing this with me." He smiled, squeezing his hand. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"What are boyfriends for?" Charlie winked as he replied, cuddling his boy tighter as he felt Alex shiver. "You're freezing baby, lets get you back inside." He mothered, standing so he could hover over him, arms outstretched.

"No we're not doing that." Alex rolled his eyes, placing his empty cup on the step. "We're not doing monkey." He shook his head as he giggled, his face flushing.

"You love monkey, admit it Standall." Charlie teased, making another funny smirk at him. "Go onnn." To that adorable face Alex gave in, proceeding to jump up into Charlie's embrace, looping his arms around his neck whilst wrapping his legs around his waist, content and snuggly as he buried his head into Charlie's chest as he carried him upstairs.

Charlie was right, he did love monkey.
.
.
"Okay, so we need a blood sample from each of you, and a swab around the back of the mouth." The doctor explained, his expression calming as Alex proceeded to hold Jessica's hand. "We're going to have someone come down now and draw some blood from you both, and then we'll get the ball rolling." He left the pair sitting in one of the clinic bays with a swab each and a tiny zip lock bag with their names on it.

"Try not to worry Alex." Jess smiled, gently swabbing the back of her cheek. "Justin was super cautious when it came to using protection,     and so were we, so I'm sure this is just a safety precaution, just incase." She saw the smaller boy nod, eventually slowing his breathing down.

Charlie had to admit he felt slightly awkward sitting next to the pair and listening to their past sex life details, but he knew Jess was now Alex's closest and dearest friend, one he also thought of as a big sister. With that in mind he relaxed, happy they had each other for this moment.

"Alex Standall." A nurse wearing at least 12 bobby pins appeared from behind a curtain, a warm smile gracing her lips as she walked towards him. "Do you want to come with me for your blood test?" She motioned to a small doctors office in the clinic, Alex nodding sheepishly as he followed her forward.

"I'll be right here, don't worry." Charlie mouthed, nodding in reassurance as Alex looked back. He knew the smaller boy hated having his blood drawn, even if he had become so used to it after his TBI.

"You two are so sweet." Jess mumbled, leaning her head on Charlie's shoulder. "He's super lucky to have you." She admitted, twiddling her thumbs in a panic. "I wish I had someone here with me." She gulped sadly.

"You know Justin would have been right by your side if he could." Charlie sighed. "But, although he could never be replaced, I'm here for both Alex and you, no matter what." He took her into his embrace, kissing her curly hair in comfort.

"Sweet, sweet Charlie St. George." She whispered. "Our little blessing in jock disguise."