━━ chapter XXXVIII.

.. no I'm not the type that you like ,
why don't we just pretend ?

..

[ ψέματα ]
lies

..

EMPEROR'S PALACE

..

PHYSICIANS WERE CALLED , maids bustling around in panic when the emperor had entered running in with an unconscious empress in his arms . he hadn't said a single word , but his distress was obvious as he gently put her down on the bed ― sitting by her side rubbing her palms to warm them up .

the physicians had said it was due to her weak body , which couldn't withstand such a shock , that had caused her to fall unconscious . it was nothing to worry about , but he still didn't move .

the servants left him alone , not daring to bother the seemingly angered emperor .

claude just sat there , gazing down at the woman with his the same , blank eyes . her face was contorted , with stress ― a nervous look still lingering on her face as she murmured to herself in her state of unconsciousness .

she looked beautiful even then , he couldn't help but think . her grievances lay across sharp lined visage carelessly , her defenses lowered as she slept , not relaxed , but innocent still . she looked younger ― her age for once . like someone who shouldn't be with him , clearly mismatched with himself .

grief becomes her ― claude mused ― she wore it like poetry , haunted , but beautiful

grief becomes her ― claude mused ― she wore it like poetry , haunted , but beautiful . hauntingly beautiful . like a quaint scent that remains behind in an abandoned house , telling stories of the cheerful and wayward girl that once lived there .