━━ chapter XXXIII.

..

[ behind the shadows ]
πίσω από τις σκιές

EMPRESS' LIBRARY
LATER THAT DAY

EMPRESS' LIBRARYLATER THAT DAY

..

" SERIOUSLY ― " lucas thought out loud , looking through the old runes that penelope had designed specifically for the modification of the defense barriers in the borders . ever since the meeting in the morning , penelope had been cooped up inside her library , flipping through the pages of every ancient runes book she could get her hands on .

lucas ― who happened to stumble in to return a book ― found her surrounded with a pile of book and numerous scattered notes , cringed to himself at the sight , flickering his wrist to let the papers arrange themselves automatically .

" how long are you going to waste finding the reason ? i'm telling you , it is most likely the conjurer's mistake . no matter how much you research , you will not find any other reason . "

he said , strutting closer as he eyed the notes with a bored look , hands in his pockets .

" manners . " penelope chastised playfully , making lucas scoff once again before picking the paper on top of the new formed pile and eyeing it .

" yeah whatever , what are you doing here anyway ? it's not like the truth will change if you read enough books , dummy . "

lucas' words made her sigh , and she put the book down ; truth be told he was right . there was no way the rune map would go wrong if not for poor execution . but poor execution was nearly impossible for a grade three conjurer . . . .

" are you suspicious ? " lucas , as if reading her thoughts , quipped . it was scary how perceptive he was at times .

impassive red eyes scanned her face , before he cackled in amusement ― plopping down on the sofa across from her .

" you're suspecting something ! it's all over your face . "

hand rising to rub her temples , she replied in a tired voice ― it wasn't even past afternoon yet .. " it is impossible for even a fool to not be able to execute basic defense runes properly . not unless ― "

" ― unless it is done on purpose . " he finished for her , crossing his legs to lean back in the chair in a care free manner .

" what you're talking about is called treason , dear empress . and it is very likely to take place in an empire , not to mention when the enemy is abundant in gold . "

he wasn't wrong , and that was the worst part of it all . if they did have a traitor working behind their back , this could be a more serious problem than she'd first assumed .

noticing her silence , lucas pointed out .

" usually us mages inform the emperor about things like these ; you even have a favour , with the emperor being your husband and all ― it is more likely that he'll take your word seriously than any other person's . "

" you're right ― however i believe i should investigate further on this and find evidence before pointing fingers . treason is a harsh accusation , after all . "

he shrugged , " suit yourself , i've done my part as an elder to advise you anyway . "

penelope gave him an unamused stare ,

" elder , really ? "

lucas winked , flashing his classic mischievous smirk at her before rising from his seat .

" you'd be surprised . " he stretched ( a gesture that reminded her of a cat , for some reason . )

" ah―nyway ! the princess is waiting for me , probably . i should get going . "

xxxx

ELDER = more experienced / learned one among mages

ELDER = more experienced / learned one among mages . respectful way of addressing a master .

i kinda .. like penelope and lucas being magic buddies ??? they're both salty magicians ¿¿¿ and i ??? stan that ¿¿¿