Chapter eight- love or lie

Start from the beginning

"We are all curious about many things Runesu however some things we never bother to ask."

I spoke referring to numerous underlying matters knowing the full effect my words had. My leeway to Runesu had to come to an end, the more she delayed telling me the reasons to her seemingly conniving like actions, the more questions cut me from within seeking an exit. Runesu chuckled softly as she stopped comparing the necklaces in her hands.

"If I were another person my Princess, I would qualify your statement as one to intimidate, or at least a mere attempt to."

It was the truth.Runesu's behavior had become too relaxed and sloppy...at times she would not show up to Pokoda with no explanation offered. I could only take so much, however my approach now seemed a little harsh.

"I am sorry Runesu; I just would prefer not to talk about my hand in marriage before we head down to Karimba because it is clouding my mood."

"Fair enough. Do let me dress you immaculately, it is the least I could do."

Runesu picked up a finely carved mahogany beaded necklace that was accentuated with various sized seeds. Subtly showing her small milky teeth in a broad smile, I unintentionally smiled back.

"King Toga expects you to look your very best, and if he sees you below the unsaid Pokoda standards ...the blame will fall on my shoulders considering that you turned away the extra help that was sent for your preparation."

Runesu walked on her knees and gently hung the well-polished necklace around my neck.

"You see now my Princess, you look like a Queen."

I ran my fingers down the necklace, smooth with no grooves or crevices, no disfigurations, similar to the look Runesu wanted me to reach, utter most perfection. My smile broadened towards Runesu.

"Thank you Runesu."

A comfortable silence fell between the two of us while Runesu kept on fumbling through items to see what next to add onto me.

"But you do know why I requested only for your company ..."

At that very moment, Runesu's stillness startled me. She had become part of the inanimate accessories she was rummaging through on the floor.It was difficult to tell if she was breathing.

"Runesu..."

"I have been aware of this for every moment that has passed after that evening my Princess."

Runesu finally said her words softly like a child who had finally confessed to stealing the chunky meat from the cooking pot on the open fire. With the sincere answer Runesu gave me, I was taken aback on how to carry on with their conversation. Projecting my thoughts was proving difficult.

"About that night..."

"That night..." Runesu echoed.

"Would you care to explain to me what you and Menhe were talking about?"

"Aren't you going to get in trouble with King Toga for sending away all those servants my Princess? He probably hand picked those girls for you himself."

I let out a deep sigh. Could Runesu at least comply? My patience had never run out like this on Runesu before, but today impatience clung in my breathing cavity as new leaves did so to a tree...branching out, clustering...filling out all the possible space.

"Runesu I am serious, I need to know or I might just end up making the mistake of reporting whatever you were doing to my father."

Squeezing beads of my anklet in her hand, Runesu did not attempt to look up as she responded back.