chapter eleven - lexie

I shot up, snapping my eyes open. Shit. We hadn't set an alarm last night.

"Spencer. Spencer." I shook his shoulder, trying to wake him up. I felt a pang of pain in my heart, the reality of our last day together setting in, but I ignored it for now. His hair was messy, spread out across the pillow. I grinned as he opened his eyes.

"What? What's wrong?" He said, sitting up.

"I-" I glanced at the clock. I had to be at work in 10 minutes. "I'm going to be late."

His eyes widened. "Oh."

I scrambled around, trying to find my clothes. "Where's  my shirt?!" I pulled on my pants from last night.

He reached behind him, under the pillow and threw my shirt at me. I grabbed it out of the air and slid into it, fixing my hair in the reflection of the TV.

"Do I have sex hair?" I asked.

He grimaced and nodded, picking his own shirt up off the ground.

"Crap." I smoothed it as best as I could, rubbing my face to try to wake myself up. "I-uh, I walked here."

He nodded, yawning. "I'll walk with you."

I smiled and opened the door. "After you, Dr. Reid."

We decided against the elevator and ran down the stairs, rushing as fast as we could out the double doors of the hotel. We speed-walked across both parking lots, still holding hands. The air was cold, burning my cheeks.

I opened the hospital door for him, taking a few breaths. I scanned the lobby, seeing Meredith at the coffee cart.

"Meredith!" I called. She whipped around, looking me up and down.

"Can you tell Dr. Bailey that I'm going to be late? Please?" I winced, knowing Bailey was not going to appreciate that.

She nodded, accepting her coffee from the barista and walking away.

"Bailey? Like the-" He stared at me.

"Yeah," I said, out of breath. "Come on."

I led him to his friends room, seeing that the other two agents from last night were already in there. He opened the door.

"Um, are you getting discharged today?" I asked his friend. Usually I would be a little more polite, but I was kind of in a rush.

He nodded. "They're signing my discharge papers later."

I nodded, swallowing back my pain "Tha-that's good."

I looked up at Spencer, reading his expression. He pulled me outside.

"So.. this is it, I guess." I leaned my head against his chest, wrapping my arms around him. He hugged me tight, putting his cheek on the top of my head.

"Yeah. This was fun." He whispered.

I tried to swallow my tears, but they started streaming down. I was embarrassed, crying about a boy I had only knows for two days.

My pager beeped, and I gently pulled away, wiping my cheeks with the back of my hand.

"I have to go." I looked up at him, tears blurring my vision. "Bye, Spencer."

He smiled weakly. "Bye, Lexie."

———————————————
I sat in the on call room, crying silently, staring at his name on my phone. It was still before lunch, and I was still at work, but I was a mess. I was dropping stuff, stuttering, it took all my focus just to listen to what Dr. Bailey was saying.

I closed my eyes, but when I did all I saw was his face, his awkward, smiling, dorky face.

I sobbed quietly, wiping my face with the sleeve of my scrubs. I took a shaky breath.

The door creaked open, and Meredith walked in. I looked up at her, sniffing.

"Hey," she said quietly, sitting down next to me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Its just... I-"

"Hey. It's okay. Come here." She wrapped her arm around my waist and pulled me close, resting my head on her shoulder.

I buried my forehead into her arm, sobbing.

"This is so stupid. I barely knew him! I- he-"

"It's love." Meredith whispered.

I nodded, lifting my head. "I don't want him to go."

"Did you say goodbye?"

"Yeah." I sniffed again. My face was covered in tears and snot like a little kid.

"I think he's leaving now. I just discharged him."

My eyes widened. "He's still here?"

"Yeah, I-"

I stood up and threw open the door, sprinting down the hallway to the lobby, bumping into people, skidding past corners.

I saw Spencer in the lobby, opening the door for his friend, who was still in a wheelchair.

"Spencer!" I shouted, walking closer.

His eyes searched around before landing on me. The door swung shut, and he glanced at his friends walking in the parking lot, then back at me.

He ran towards me and I did the same. I collided into him, kissing his soft lips, smelling his skin one last time. I pulled away first, breathing shallow breaths against his chest. He hugged me tight. I never wanted him to let go.

He kissed the top of my head, then pulled away, resting his forehead against mine.

"I-I'm going to miss you." Spencer whispered.

"Me too." I took a shaky breath. "You better go."

"Yeah." He kissed me one last time.

"Bye." I said, stepping back.

He looked at me for a second, like he was analyzing my face. "Bye." He turned around, walking towards the door, and so did I.

I turned around waking away, my vision tunneling. I thought about turning back, but I decided against it. I wouldn't be able to walk away again.

I made it to the on call room I was in before and found Meredith still there, sitting on the bed, waiting for me.

I stared at her for a second, processing my emotions. Then I broke down, sobbing harder. I kneeled on the ground, too in pain to even make it to the bed.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. It's okay." She squatted next to me, wrapping her arms around my head.

I sat there for a long time, leaning against my sister, crying and crying on the floor of the on call room.