chapter six - spencer

I laid on Lexie's bed, sweating. She laughed, rolling over to look at me.

"You're pretty good!"

"Yeah, you-you too." I said, out of breath. That was an understatement. She was amazing. I-She was amazing.

"Wow." Lexie mumbled, still smiling. I looked down at her. The way her eyes sparkled when she laughed- it made my heart skip. I've never felt this way, with a girl. We got each other- in a way I've never known. Even more than my friends. I didn't want to say I was in love, but...

The front door opened, and I heard laughing downstairs.

"Who else lives here?" I asked.

"Uh... Meredith. Her husband Derek. My friend Alex." She glanced up at me. "It's Meredith's house. People come in and out of here all the time."

"That sounds fun." I stared at the ceiling. I wish I had what she had. Living alone... it got old after a while.

"Are you hungry?" She sat up. "I'm hungry."

"Yeah, kind of." I was actually starving.

"Come on. Come downstairs," She grabbed my hand.

"Uh- I don't know if I should, you know-"

She laughed that beautiful laugh again. "Spencer, Alex brings home a new girl like every day. Don't worry about it."

I took a deep breath, pulling my shirt back on. "Okay."

She led me down the stairs, still giggling. The house was warm and inviting, the lights twinkling. Almost... motherly. No wonder people liked to stay here.

Meredith was behind the counter while Alex and another man- must be Meredith's husband Derek- were sitting at the dining table, eating cake.

Lexie dragged me in, and I sat down at the far left stool at the breakfast bar, swiveling back and forth.

Alex whistled. "Go, Lexie."

Lexie glared at him, but humor danced in her eyes. They had an almost sibling relationship, I felt like. They seemed really comfortable around each other.

"You must be Spencer, right? FBI guy?" The man with dark hair said.

"Yeah, hi." I spun my chair to look at him. "You're Derek?"

"Did you figure that out with your top secret skills?"

"I told him." Lexie poured coffee in two mugs. "His friend-the one that got shot- his name is Derek too."

"Huh." Derek ate a bite of cake. "How is he?"

"He's-he's okay. He woke up. He's fine." I stammered.

"That's good." Meredith said, sitting next to her husband.

I nodded and looked around. "This is a nice house,"

"It was my mother's," she smiled.

"Ellis Grey, right? That's crazy. She's a legend."

"Yep."

Lexie laughed. "Come on, Spencer." She handed me a cup of coffee and a bag of chips.

I smiled. "See you, guys. Thank you, by the way."

Derek lifted his mug. As we walked away, I heard them whispering in the kitchen.

"He's more appropriate then Mark, at least." Derek said quietly.

"I like him." That was Alex.

They liked me. That was good. Although I was curious as to why I was even searching for approval, it's not like she was my girlfriend. It was a family dynamic in there. I could tell. Derek was like a big brother to her. Someone she went to for advice. Possibly a mentor at work, as well. Meredith was a big sister, someone she cried and partied with. Alex was a good friend. They had history.

I realized I was doing it again, analyzing random people, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know everything I could about her. I wanted to be a part of her family. And I wanted her to be a part of mine.

We made it to her room and she laid her head on my chest again, sitting between my legs. She grabbed the remote.

"You want to watch something?" She waved it around.

I nodded. I honestly didn't care. I could sit here all night, not talking, just being in her presence. Her hair was soft against my chest, probably a result of the bleach thinning it out. She was warm, and comfortable. Her hand without the remote rested on my knee.

She turned the little TV in her room on, and we sat there for a couple hours, watching the true crime channel. She thought it was hilarious, the way I could point of mistakes, predict who the killer was. I let her guess first, but she was always wrong.

"I guess I should stick with being a surgeon, huh?"

"Yeah. Definitely."

Eventually, the program was over, and we sat there in the dark.

"Are you spending the night?" She asked quietly. I could tell she was tired, but I didn't want to leave.

"I- I can stay. Unless you want me to leave-" I said, a little too quickly.

"No. Stay." She pulled me back. I nodded, sinking into the pillow. I had never actually spent the night with a girl before. Sure, I've gone on dates, had sex, but never spent the night. Never wanted to. But this was different.

"Tell me about your friends." I whispered, turning to look at her in bed.

She grinned. "Well, Alex- he's a third year, like Meredith. Same with Cristina, the one at the bar?She's amazing. They started out together. Derek's a neurosurgeon. Really, really good neurosurgeon." She paused. "We just had a merger. With Mercy West? A lot of the doctors are new here. One of my friends-well, a lot of my friends were fired."

I nodded. "Aren't-aren't there typically 5 people in an intern group?"

She hesitated. I hit a nerve. What happened to the other two people in Meredith's class?

"You don't have to tell me, if-" I said, trying to read her expression.

"No, no, it's-" She took a deep breath. "Um, well one got fired. Izzie. And, the other one, George- he died. About a year ago. It was a bus accident."

I grimaced. "You two- you two were close?"

She nodded. "He was my first friend here. You know, after my mom died? We shared an apartment. He was amazing. He was a sweet boy."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"It's okay." She said, settling down in her pillow, grabbing my arm. Touch was her love language. I could tell. I was okay with that.

"I'll tell you about my family tomorrow."

She nodded, her eyes already shut. I watched her sleep for a little while. She was an adorable sleeper. Her long eyelashes spilling out over her cheeks. She was breathing through her mouth, her lips slightly parted. She wasn't snoring, but her breathing was louder than normal. Maybe it was annoying to some people, but I found it endearing.

I closed my eyes. This is the most comfortable I'd felt sleeping in years. It felt nice to have someone else in bed with me, someone who wasn't my mother. Someone- I loved.