Her shorts clung to her figure, riding up just slightly on her butt and giving it a more pronounced shape than he had originally noticed. Her tank top, which was a deep honey color, suited her skin tone. The fact that she wasn't wearing a bra just amped up his attraction to her; he could see her hardened nubs straining against her shirt and he felt his cheeks flush. 

When she reached down and grabbed the hem of her shirt, his breath hitched and he found himself licking his lips. 

"Sarge, you're staring."

Martina's teasing voice snapped him out of the tranquil- and some what inappropriate- peace he had found himself in, and he had to remind himself that it wasn't socially acceptable to watch a woman change. 

"Um, yeah," he said, looking down at his feet and scratching the back of his neck. "I'll just- um- I'll just wait outside."

Back in the safety of their secluded little safe haven, Martina immediately knew that something was going to be different today. 

Bucky was sitting on the floor, wringing his hands and bouncing his knees. Judging by the little throbbing vein on his neck, Martina realized that he was deep in thought. His facial expression loosened then hardened and loosened than hardened- almost as if he was simultaneously talking himself in and out of something. 

"Bucky?" Martina asked, anxiously pulling the sleeves of her sweater over her knuckles. "You're kind of freaking me out here."

Bucky's head snapped up at her fearful tone and he shook his head. "I'm sorry. It's just that today's gonna be pretty tough. I noticed during our talks that you're the most uncomfortable when we talk about the memories before the car accident. I think that it's time to move on to the next step of EMDR and try to tap into some of those memories."

Martina gulped as she joined Bucky on the floor and crossed her legs. "So, what do I do?"

"They usually use lights but...this should work." Bucky sucked in a breath as he removed the glove on his left hand and held one metal finger up in the air in front of her. "Your eyes are going to follow my finger as I ask you to focus on certain physical sensations you feel when we talk about your past. You really need to concentrate because EMDR is sometimes known to cause false memories if not done right."

"Okay, this is it I guess," Martina whispered, focusing her eyes on his pointer finger as her forehead creased. She had to use all the strength she could muster to keep herself from trembling and stop her eyes which were burning in anticipation of tears. 

Bucky felt an unbearable tug in his gut as he watched her try to keep herself together. He leaned forward slightly and reached his right hand out to her. "It's hard but it's necessary. You want to know, right?"

Martina nodded her head and quickly reached for his hand and, despite her efforts, tears were beginning to fall down her cheeks. "Bucky," she sniffled, too embarrassed to look up at him. "Can I- can I hold your hand?"

He smiled warmly at her as his thumb brushed the top of her hand and nodded his head. "Yeah, you can. Just as long as you follow my finger."

Martina let out a deep shaky breath and looked up, surprised to see how much gentleness was present in his brilliant blue eyes. All the warm bubbling emotions that seemed to consume her were melting under his gaze.