Chapter 14

Taylor was smiling to herself in the kitchen, as she was toasting bread and preparing several meats and slices of lettuce. She was chopping up a tomato as her mother walked into the kitchen

“Taylor? Dear? Didn’t you just have breakfast? What are you doing?”

“Oh, I’m just making lunch, mom,” she responded happily.

“I assume you talked to Karlie?” said her mother knowingly.

“Yeah! How did you know?”

“Your mother knows everything. It’s that smile. And I assume that lunch is for Karlie, as well.”

“How did you –

“Like I said, I know everything. And you’re slicing the tomatoes too big, dear. Here, let me help you.”

“Thanks, mom!”

They smiled happily while making the sandwiches together. It had been a while since Taylor was smiling so brightly.

------------

“Karlie!” said Taylor happily.

“Hi, Taylor. You’re back. How are you? What are you hiding behind your back?”

“I’m good, Karlie,” she said as she walked up to Karlie. She was standing across the counter when she showed Karlie the lunchbox she had been concealing.

“Ta-da! I made you lunch!”

Karlie smiled ever so widely.

“Really? Thanks, Taylor,” she said while opening the box.

“Sandwiches! They look delicious, Taylor. Thank you!”

“I made two, Karlie. One for me, one for you, and one for later in case you get hungry.”

Taylor looked like a 5-year old, bouncing up and down in excitement.

“Tell me how it is, Karlie,” she said as Karlie was about to take a bite.

“Okay,” smiled Karlie.

Suddenly, Karlie put the sandwich down.

“Karlie? What’s wrong?” asked Taylor.

Karlie was smiling at someone who had just walked in.

“Hey, Toni. Glad to see you back again.”

“Hi, Karlie. Same.”

Toni looked at Taylor, who was eyeing her carefully now.

“Oh, who’s this, Karlie?”

“This is Taylor, my girlfriend. Taylor, meet Toni. She’s a friend I met through Sean.”

“Hey, Taylor!” said Toni happily. She did not look the slightest bit disturbed.

“Hi, Toni,” said Taylor. Her tone was formal, verging on hostile.

No, Taylor thought to herself, I’m not going to do this. I trust Karlie.

“So how long have you two been dating?”

“Oh, about one month now,” said Karlie.

One month and how many days, Karlie?

“That’s right,” said Taylor, nodding.

Toni smirked at Taylor. She could recognize the jealousy almost instantly.

Fine. I’ll play nice. For now.

“So what have you been up to, Toni?” asked Karlie.

Taylor was eyeing the sandwich in Karlie’s hand. She still had not taken a bite.