Final Chapter.

Taylor was sitting on her couch, head thrown back and pointed towards the ceiling, eyes closed. She was listening to the sound of summer rain falling on her roof from inside her living room.

Drip .Drip. Drip. Drip.

Her hand was lying limp on the armrest as her fingertips dawdled over its edge, tapping lightly. The room was silent except for the sound of clacks, made by the meeting of fingernail and wood.

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

The clacks steadily grew louder and became more and more rapid, suddenly stopping when Taylor’s eyes flew open. She let out a long sigh and remained completely motionless for a while, until –

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

Yet again. It had been that way for several hours now.

-------------

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

If the sun had come out at all that day, it would have already disappeared, as Taylor remained on the couch. She did not sleep, did not eat, did not drink, only sat there –

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

Clack. Clack. Clack. – 

Her front door opened and in walked Mark, peeking around the hallway and spotting Taylor on the couch. Her hands were folded across her lap and the corners of her mouth rose upward softly.

“Hey,” he said, standing in the hallway pensively, still smiling at her – his first welcome sight all day.

“Hi, Mark.”

She said it softly, like she always did, but she was not looking at him. Mark remained still, trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong. His smile was locked in place and a rigid “how are you?” sputtered from his mouth.

“I’m fine,” she said with her eyes, her mind elsewhere.

Mark replied, “Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

His smile was flattened slightly as he continued to stare, wondering when she would look at him. His head was tilted a little to the side, hair soaked and dripping drops of water onto the floor.

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip.

“Oh, of course,” said Taylor, jerking back to reality and looking at Mark. The smile crept onto her face and Mark hung his coat on the rack and made his way to her on the couch. He sat down and turned towards her, waiting for her to speak, smile on face and hopes at heart. She was facing forward, staring at the now empty hallway.

Clack. Clack. Clack. Clack.

Clack. Clack. Clack. Cl –

“Taylor?” he asked finally, “Anything wrong?”

Her head jerked in his direction and the smile crept back onto her face as she gazed at him.

“Oh, no Mark, I’m fine.” 

“Well?” he asked, eyebrows raised.

“Well, what?” she responded in confusion.

“Your trip!” he said, laughing, “It’s been a few days, don’t I get a hug or something?”

His arms opened wide, inviting her in.

“Oh, Mark! I’m sorry,” she said as she accepted.

“It’s okay,” he said softly into her ear, “You must be tired.”

His eyes were closed while Taylor rested her head on his chest. Mark breathed in her scent deeply.

“I love you,” he whispered, eyes still closed.