Chapter 5

Taylor looked away from Karlie, now. She knew that her eyes had done their job, had shown their sincerity, and nervousness soon ensued.

Karlie did not know what to say, wanted to believe it, but still couldn’t – not yet.

“Is this your response, Karlie? Nothing?” Taylor asked.

“No, it’s not.”

“Then what?”

“It’s just that, I don’t think you like me.”

“Karlie, I –

“Taylor, you don’t like me, you can’t!”

“Why not, Karlie? What are you talking about?”

Taylor was getting heated at this point, was beginning to lose her temper.

Karlie was thinking, about to speak.

How can I reach you if we’re in two different worlds?

“I-It’s just that, you can’t. I don’t think it’s possible. I can’t really believe it.”

“How do you feel about me, Karlie?”

“I – uh…”

Karlie paused, for just a little too long, testing Taylor’s patience for just a little too long.

“What?!?” cried Taylor.

“I don’t know, Taylor! I don’t know if I’m right for you.”

Taylor cried out in indignation, in disbelief. She looked around the room, trying to divert her anger, but it would not leave.

She looked back at Karlie, looked into her eyes and tried to read her thoughts; she wondered if she stared hard enough, if she would be about to see what Karlie was feeling – after all, it was almost impossible to hide love.

Taylor caught a glimpse of what she wanted to see, and still heated, came closer to Karlie.

Karlie backed up slightly, as a reactive instinct, but did not go far enough.

Taylor grabbed Karlie’s shirt collar and kissed her. Karlie’s eyes were open at first, then closed for a moment before Taylor pulled away. 

That was short…, Karlie thought to herself.

“There,” said Taylor, out of breath, “You stole my first kiss.”

Her cheeks were beginning to show signs of a blush.

Karlie looked at Taylor, now, expression unreadable.

Taylor grew afraid.

“What?” she said.

“I don’t want it,” Karlie replied.

“Huh?”

Taylor’s look was one of confusion.

“I don’t want your first kiss.”

“Well, too bad, Karlie, because –

“Here, take it back,” said Karlie. 

And she moved towards Taylor this time, cupping Taylor’s face in her hands and placing lips upon lips, eyes closed.

Much better, thought Karlie to herself.

The kiss was sweet, prolonged, even, as Taylor wrapped her arms around Karlie’s neck and –

The door opened, and there stood Sean, watching in horror, holding a wrench in one hand and a broken lock in the other.