Chapter 13

“So you’re from around here?” asked Toni.

“Yeah, Sean and I grew up together. We work together at the dairy,” said Karlie.

“Y-Y-Yeah,” stuttered Sean, “D-Dairy. M-Milk.”

Toni giggled at Sean.

“Yes, Sean,” she said jokingly, “I am aware of that.”

“I think he’s trying to say that he likes milk,” said Karlie.

They laughed at Sean together.

“I-I need, uh, the bathroom!” said Sean suddenly.

“Yes, but the bathroom doesn’t need you,” said Karlie, smiling.

Toni and Karlie laughed again, with Karlie remembering how long it had been since she laughed like this.

Sean scampered off to the restroom while Karlie was still chuckling.

“Wow, he already finished the entire bottle,” said Karlie, pointing at Sean’s beer.

Toni nodded as she opened her mouth to speak to Karlie again, eyeing her with interest.

“So…” she began, and they talked till long past Sean had returned to the restroom, till long into the night and the bar was closing down.

“I should stop by the dairy sometime,” said Toni, “and you know, visit you two.” 

“Y-Y-Yes,” stuttered Sean, “Y-You d-d-defi –

“You should do that,” said Karlie, cutting him off, “You’re more than welcome to.”

“Okay,” said Toni, “Bye guys, I’ll see you soon,” and she turned away from them and left the bar.

Sean threw his head back in his chair and sighed.

“I’m such an idiot,” said Sean, “Such an idiot!” and he kicked the table in frustration.

The bartender looked at Sean, eyebrows raised.

“Let’s call it a night,” said Karlie, “Come on,” and they exited the bar.

What a good night, thought Karlie to herself as they were driving away.

She slept more peacefully that night than she had in a long time.

---------------

“Taylor,” Mr. Swift began, “What’s wrong?”

It was morning, and they were sitting at the breakfast table.

“Nothing, dad. Just tired,” and she smiled feebly.

Her mother let out a sigh.

“Taylor, you haven’t been yourself these past days. Your father and I are so worried about you.”

“Thanks,” said Taylor, “But I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, Taylor. I hope you know what you’re doing.”

---------------

Taylor was lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She was usually at the hospital about this time, visiting Connor, but today she could not force herself to go. She was worn, exhausted, both mentally and physically. 

Her mind and body both longed for Karlie, but there was so much guilt overwhelming her she did not know if she could face Karlie anymore. She wondered if Karlie was doing alright, wondered if Karlie had locked herself in the storage room again. She chuckled at the memories – a sad smile, but a smile nonetheless. It had been too long since her last real smile.