A Slippery Slope

Ben hugged the blanket draped around his shoulders closer to combat the chill of the night air. Having been cooped up inside for several days, it was nice to get some time to himself. He lifted a shaking hand to take a drag of his cigarette, only to freeze when he spotted a single headlight coming down the main drive towards the compound: Rosa and Bucky.

A smile brightened Ben's face as the motorbike drew closer. Rosa always looked so happy with Barnes. Tonight was different as well - her first shift at a new pianist job. An opportunity to relax despite being on the lookout for possible danger. The culprit behind the poisoning was still a mystery.

Another pang of nausea caused Ben to tremor and swallow thickly. He tried to draw his attention away from the discomfort but it was difficult. He watched as Bucky pulled up halfway down the drive and helped Rosa descend from his motorcycle. He drew her in for a kiss which grew more heated by the second.

Ben raised his eyebrows and coughed loudly, making them aware of his presence. "How did your performance go?" He called.

The couple sprang apart and Rosa widened her eyes as she hurried over. "What on Earth are you doing out here? You should be in bed," she scolded.

"I needed some air...and a smoke," he grinned and flicked his eyebrows upwards. He ensured his voice was steady despite the twitching of his limbs: a result of the freezing outdoors and being poisoned.

Rosa chewed on her lower lip and ran a hand through her hair. "Fair enough. But I'll walk you back in when you're done." She faced Bucky as he approached from behind. "I'll bring you a hot chocolate in fifteen, okay?"

"Don't get too cold, Doll." He smiled and kissed her sweetly before heading inside.

Ben smirked as Rosa took a seat on the steps next to him. "Sorry for interrupting your make-out session."

"You better be," the brunette grinned.

"You never answered my question. How did everything go tonight?" He blew out a plume of smoke, awaiting her reply.

A smile bloomed on Rosa's face. "It actually went really well. It was terrifying but, God, I loved it."

Ben felt his chest lighten with her words. "That's what I wanted to hear."

"How are you feeling now?" She asked, suddenly. "Any better?"

To tell the truth, Ben felt horrendous. His muscles were incredibly achy and the rigidness of his joints made the pain much worse. The occasional spasm of his limbs caused waves of nausea to roll through his stomach.

Despite all this, he forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah, a bit."

"Have you taken your medication today?"

Ben tore his eyes away and took another drag of the cigarette, straining his hand to prevent any tremors. "Yeah, I, err, had it this morning."

"I know you're lying." Rosa put a hand on his arm and squeezed affectionately.

"It's just..." He trailed off and took a shaky breath. "I don't trust myself." A silence settled between them after that. Ben swallowed the lump in his throat and his vision blurred with tears.

"How long have you been sober now?"

"It should have been twenty-two days."

"Should have been?" Rosa frowned.

"The poison...you know it was...it was blended with..." He despised the word he was about to say. He despised all the pain and suffering associated with it. Most of all, he despised how good it made him feel. "It was blended with heroin."