Ticking Time Bomb

Hey readers, here is another chapter of Darkened for you, hope you all enjoy! I should have mentioned in the last part that I have updated my cast list to include a few more characters and will probably do so again in the future. Lots of love to you all! ❤

Natasha Romanoff was beyond furious. Clove had escaped. Rosa was missing. Worst of all, Ben was dead. His absence weighed heavily on her chest. As well as grief, she felt rage. She forced herself to control this as she headed down to the lower levels of the compound with food for their prisoner.

Damien had spent the night in the holding cell. While he had remained unconscious for most it, everyone else had stayed up in a collective effort to find Rosa. So far, the search was struggling. There were no surveillance cameras of any kind surrounding the country roads which meant until Damien chose to cooperate, they had no leads whatsoever.

Natasha rolled her shoulders before heading into room. This time, she would get answers. This time, she had a plan.

Beyond the glass at the far end, Damien was sat with his feet up on the table. He narrowed his eyes as she pushed the sandwich tray through a slot in the glass. "I thought we went over this earlier, Sweetheart," he groaned. "I don't know shit about where they went."

"Relax," Natasha said, ignoring how he had addressed her. "I'm just here to give you your lunch...and talk."

"Talk?" Damien scoffed.

"That's right. We've salvaged everything we could from the wreckage. I want you to tell me why none of the guns we found were loaded."

A sickening smirk tugged at the corner of his lip. "Mine was."

Natasha knew he was referring to Ben. She clenched her jaw and folded her arms over her chest, withholding any reaction to his words. "Why weren't the others?"

"Deon doesn't want Rosa hurt. Any dealings involving her, the guns are only for scare. The guards follow that rule because they were controlled to do so."

"And you weren't?"

"Deon trusts me."

Natasha found that extremely hard to believe. Despite everything Deon was responsible for, there was no denying he was clever. He most likely only trusted one person above all: himself. She came to a stop in front of the glass. "Tell me more about the work you've been doing at the facility."

The man furrowed his brows and laughed. He got to his feet and minimised the space between them. "Why would I tell you, hm?"

Natasha stayed silent.

"You're keeping me warm, keeping me fed..." Damien trailed off and retrieved his sandwich from the tray. "Obviously, the Avengers aren't gonna torture me for information. So, I'll ask again, why would I tell you?"

"Because you like being in control." That comment seemed to peak his interest. "I have a proposal for you..." Natasha continued. "Tell us everything you know about Deon and his facility, and you can have what you've always wanted."

"What is it I've always wanted, Miss Romanoff?"

"Like I just said. Control."

"Go on," he urged.

Natasha contained her smile and began pacing across the length of the cell. "Now that Deon's unable to call all the shots, you stepped in for him, correct?"

Damien took a bite of his sandwich and nodded. "That's right."

"I want to offer you the chance to hold the power permanently. Help us take Deon down, and you can have the facility for yourself."