Walking Matchstick

Rosa awoke to light streaming through the large windows of the compound. She had opted to sleep in the living area after the traumatic events of the previous night. Jamie was in her bed and Ben had stayed in a chair next to him. She sat up and locked eyes with the mostly empty bottle of bourbon on the table in front of her.

Once everyone else went to sleep, she had continued drinking because it was the only thing capable of taking her away from reality. She flicked her gaze to the sleeping figure on the sofa opposite her and allowed a smile. Bucky had stayed in the living area with her. They talked about the usual things, but the focus of the conversation was Jamie.

Maria Hill had contacted Lucy's parents. Rick and Matilda Atchins moved to Canada two years after Lucy went missing for a fresh start. Since Jamie had never been able to get back to them, they lost hope. They were currently on the earliest flight they could get from Toronto to New York and very anxious to see their daughter.

Rosa lifted herself up and stretched. She began making two coffees. Bucky didn't stir despite the noise she was making. After one last glance at the super-soldier, she made her way up to the med room.

Lucy was the same. Her heart rate was still dangerously low and the ventilator was the only thing keeping her alive. Peter was sat in a chair with his head resting on the bed. He had his hand entwined with Lucy's. He wasn't alone, however, as Tony was stood to the side.

"Hey Daisy," he yawned upon seeing her.

"Have you been up here all night?" She asked, handing him the second coffee.

"Yep," the billionaire said, popping the 'p'. "How's Ninja Turtle doing?"

Rosa nearly choked on her drink at that nickname for Jamie. She could only guess it was because he used a katana. "Ninja Turtle?" She scoffed.

Tony just shrugged.

"To answer your question, I don't really know. Still resting at the moment, but he's been grieving alone for the past two weeks."

"He can stay as long as he wants," Tony smiled.

Rosa returned the gesture and leant her head on his shoulder. "What about Peter?"

They both looked at the boy, sleeping soundly next to his friend.

"It took a lot for him to go to sleep. There was no way I could make him go to his room. He doesn't want to leave her." Tony sighed through the words.

"Her parents are on their way at least. I'm just dreading their reaction," Rosa said. Tears built up behind her eyes but she forced them to stay put. She lifted her head off the man's shoulder and took a sip of her coffee.

"She's in the best possible care," Tony assured.

Rosa nodded, leaning against the door frame. She tore her eyes away from Peter and looked at Tony instead. He appeared the same as he always did: tired and drained. "You should get some rest, Tony. I can watch Peter."

"Nah, I'm good here," he answered, dismissively.

Rosa arched an eyebrow and narrowed her eyes. She knew that Pepper leaving had taken a huge toll on him. Not only that, but everything going on at the moment was incredibly stressful.

"Promise me you'll rest at some point today," she said.

He rolled his eyes and finished off his coffee. "Fine," he snapped. "Anything else you want to lecture me on?"

Rosa flinched at his agitated tone. "No," she said, quickly.

There was silence between them. Tony looked down at the floor.