The Last Ingredient

Start from the beginning

"Ready?" He asked me. I nodded and smiled, as I thought of something funny to say as a reply to this, but I wasn't going to.

"Yep."

********

We're on our way back to Old Corona. It took us a while to find the ingredient, but we have it now. I notice that we walk past that bush with the blue flowers again. Varian said it was rare, so how come we've walked past it like five times already? He was walking in front of me now, with the map in his hands. He was mumbling in himself. It was loud enough for me to hear. "How could this happen? I swear this was the right way. No, I can't tell her we're lost, she'll freak out and hate me for it. This is all my fault. I should've never asked her to come with me. Now I've put her in danger and-" I decided to interrupt his moment in himself, since he was clearly blaming himself for all this. It technically is his fault, but I don't want him to feel bad.

"Hey, Varian?" I said as I caught up with him, tipping my finger on his right shoulder. He turned around and gave me a clearly fake smile. "Yeah? Everything's fine don't worry." He said, and looked at the map again. I frowned. "I didn't even ask you if everything was fine. But clearly it's not. Just tell me that we're lost already." I said. He dragged his eyes off the map, back to me again. He looked terrified. We stared at each other for a good minute, me waiting for him to say something, and him probably thinking of what to say.

"B-But we're not. We're not lost." He said, stuttering because he knew he was lying. I sighed, "Oh please, just stop lying, I heard you mumble in yourself a minute ago." He looked like I was standing there pointing a knife at him. Why was he so terrified? Why couldn't he just tell me the truth?

"I eh, I-" He kept stuttering, probably trying to find a way around the answer. I sighed again and put my hand on his shoulder. I looked right into his terrified eyes, giving him a calming look. "Varian, what's wrong? Why are you avoiding telling the truth? You know I'm not gonna be mad at you." I saw his eyes tearing up. I mean, yes we were lost and that's bad, but is it really THAT bad?

Varian's P.O.V

I was looking at the ground, as I felt my eyes tearing up. No no no, seriously?! Do I have to cry in front of her? She's going to think I'm some baby or something, I don't want that. Ugh! This trip is a total disaster! I thought we were going on this awesome trip, where we would NOT get lost, and just have a good time together, and that I could maybe give her some signs that I like her. But now, because I can apparently not read maps, we're lost, and everything is ruined. I look up to her (e/c) eyes, that are staring at me in confusion. Right, she asked me why I can't tell her the truth. Well, here goes nothing.

"Because I don't want you to be mad at me." I said, and kept looking into her eyes. I saw her think about her reply, which made me nervous. She sighed, but it wasn't out of annoyance. It was more out of confusion.

"What makes you think I would be mad at you? It's not your fault." She answered. My eyes widened. Not my fault? How is this not my fault, (y/n)?

"It is my fault! If I had just paid attention to the map instead of my thoughts, then we wouldn't be standing here having this conversation." I say, with an angry tone in my voice. I see her startle from my tone, since I sort of yelled at her without meaning to. But then, her face softens again. "Well, it doesn't matter if it's your fault or not, I'm not mad at you." She says. I sigh and rest my head in the palm of my hand. "I'm sorry." I say, not only apologizing for my angry tone, but also for everything else. She places her warm hands on my shoulders. I look up, right into her (e/c) eyes again. Gosh, her eyes are so beautiful. . . 

"Listen Varian, it's okay. We'll find our way back."  She says, with that same calming voice she had the whole time. I don't understand how she can be so calm now. "Now, give me that map, maybe I can figure out where we are." She says with a smile, and I can't help but stare at her. She has so much faith in all this, it's crazy. Why can't I have that too? I mean, I was already terrified when we entered the woods, and now that fear has multiplied like five million times. 

"Varian?" She says and I see her fingers snap in front of my eyes, trying to get me back to reality. I shake my head lightly and smile. "Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts." I say and hand her the map. I point out the points on the map that I do know, but are probably way too far away from where we are standing. (Y/n) observes the map with a strongly focused expression on her face. I don't realize I'm staring at her, like always, until she suddenly jumps back and screams, "SNAKE!" 

I look down at the ground and see the green-colored dude crawling towards (y/n). She has now put the map in front of her eyes so she can't see him. Apparently she is terrified of something, and that something is a snake.

I grab her hand and pull her with me, running to I-don't-know-where. After a while, we stop running and I look at her. I see a tear rolling down her cheek. My eyes widen from the sight of that. "Wow, (y/n), are you okay?" I ask and slowly wipe the tear off her cheek with my hand "It was just a snake." I say, with a calming voice that sounds just as calming as hers in my head, and hopefully also out loud. She smiles and puts her hand on mine, that is still on her cheek. I blush a little, I don't even know how I got myself to even put my hand on her cheek, but it happened. 

"I know, it's just that eh," She says and turns her head away, as her hand leaves mine, and mine leaves her cheek. She awkwardly puts a strand of hair behind her ear and laughs as she says, "I'm a little afraid of snakes, that's all." "A little?" I say and cross my arms, giving her a teasing look when our eyes meet. She laughs and stomps my arm. We keep staring at each other for a while, both with soft smiles on our faces, until I suddenly feel raindrops on my head. Oh no. Not rain. It also feels a lot darker than it already was. Shoot. Now we're going to freeze to death instead of dying of starvation. Great. 

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

Varian is looking up at the sky, while holding his hand up to feel something. Just as I want to ask him what he's doing, I feel several raindrops on my shoulders and my head. Nooooo not rain! Seriously?! 

"What should we do?" I ask Varian, who's still looking up to the sky. He shrugs, "I don't know, let's just find some place that's dry, even if it's just a little. You didn't make anything out of the map, did you?" I shake my head, "Nope, nothing." I say and feel my cheeks warming up, thinking of the moment he put his hand on my cheek. I don't know what it was, but it made me feel all shaky and nervous. 

"Come on, let's go this way." Varian says and pulls my arm. I know that he has absolutely no idea where he's going, but I follow him anyway. I don't really have a choice anyway, since he's pulling my arm. After running into the darkness for a while, we sit down under a big plant, with very big leaves. I have no idea what kind of plant it is, but it's keeping us dry right now, so I love it. Varian and I aren't soaking, but we are wet from the rain. Oh, my mom must be worried sick. I promised her I'd be home before dark, and it has been dark for hours already. She's never going to let me go outside again. And Varian, his father must be worried too. The only plus side to all this is that we did get the ingredient before we got lost, but that's seriously the only good thing. Okay, maybe it's also a good thing that I'm alone with Varian. Suddenly I feel a very cold breeze. I shiver. Where's my sweater? I grab my bag and open it, just to find out that I didn't bring one. Ugh, why did I forget it?! I usually take everything with me! 

"A-Are you cold?" I hear Varian ask me, when he noticed what I was doing. I nod and awkwardly smile. "A little," I say and look at my shoe. I notice a little leaf on it so I clean it up with my finger. But then, I got interrupted by an arm. And now two. One is placed around me, the other finishing the embrace that I'm now placed in. My eyes widen immediately. I feel Varian's warmth against me, my insides are now boiling. 

Well, I'm not cold anymore. 

"I-Is this better?" Varian asks, almost whispering. I smile and hug him back, "Way better." I say, and lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes.