Part 6

Part Six: Charlotte

The entire day had been a blur. We were basically being herded around like cattle by the crew of the show. I wasn’t sure where we were going but everyone in the girls group had a good idea that our mentor would just have to be Harry because it would cause the most drama. We were standing outside waiting for a bus to take us to the airport.

“Why would it cause drama?” I decided to ask one of the girls closest to me. She was a tall blonde from Florida with tanned skin and bright blue eyes.

She made a face at my cigarette and then turned her attention back to me. “Well, Harry would obviously be attracted to a few of us and all the girls want him anyway so there would be catfights and secret romances and such. Um, aren’t you afraid that’s going to ruin your voice?”

I blew out smoke, “Nope. At least not soon enough to destroy my chances of winning this competition.” She smirked and then turned away from me. I already knew I wasn’t going to be making many friends on this journey.

Eventually the bus showed up and shipped all of the girls on to the plane. The flight seemed to take weeks but eventually we made it and we were in London. I wondered if Harry actually would be our mentor at this point. It seemed pretty likely, but a part of me wished he wasn’t. I didn’t want him to be around all of these other pretty girls that could also sing. However, I wanted to be with him, to learn from him and to spend time with him.

We took a bus to the apartment we would be staying at. I looked around the beautiful city. I had been out of the country before because my parents liked to travel a lot when I was younger so I could vaguely remember what London felt like. After driving thirty minutes we reached a tall complex, it didn’t look somewhere like Simon Cowell would live, so I figured Harry or Demi would be our mentor.

They ushered into the building, random cameras rolling as we walked in. The apartment was huge and had a bunch of rooms. Everything was very trendy with a fun living room area that had a long, leather couch and a large entertainment section with speakers and microphones. There was a minibar in the corner and a kitchen on the opposite side of the door. Everyone began talking about what the place looked like until one of the producers spoke up.

“Okay girls, were going to have you sit over on the couch until your mentor arrives. They should be here shortly so just be patient. We want you to give us the most excited reaction possible, however, do not all run to your mentor and try to hug them or touch them really. Maybe some screaming and applause.”

All the girls nodded as we all found a seat on the couch. All eight of us were just surveying each other, shifting nervously on the couch. I don’t believe any of them were as nervous as I was. How was I supposed to react when someone I was pretty much-sleeping with? Dating?- walked through the door and I had to pretend not to know him? Of course I didn’t know that it would be Harry but I couldn’t get rid of the butterflies in my stomach.

I began twirling my curls around my fingers, wishing I could go smoke before I threw up. Before too long the cameramen walked into the apartment and the girls started chattering again. “Okay were almost ready.” One of them said. “Quiet on the set.”

Then at that moment, the door opened and I could hear my heart beat. Of course I heard the screaming before I even got to see the curly hair make it through the door. I smiled of course, and began clapping and cheering with the other girls. We made eye contact and I could feel cheeks get hot as I shook my head. He grinned and I knew that he lied to me last night when he told me he didn’t know who he would mentor. “Hello ladies.” He laughed and I think the girl beside me almost fainted.

“This is like a dream come true,” she whispered to me. Her name was Monica, she had dark skin with big, bold, brown eyes. She was the only person I had really talked to so far from my group. We had a lot in common and she reminded me of Crystal, who I was missing dearly. She texted me throughout the week and told me she could finally keep the apartment clean since I was gone.