Part 14- Rising from the Abyss

"I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss"

Tessa and Jem wove through the bustling streets of London, wild, matching grins spread across their features. They turned down a side-street, the crowds lining the sidewalks thinning and the noise of the city drowning into a faint hum.

After turning down a few more desolate streets, Jem abruptly halted and pivoted to face a building on the opposite side of the road. The street was deserted and Tessa examined the building before her. It seemed to be an old, abandoned factory, the windows boarded up and the front covered in a layer of grime that turned the white paint to brown. There were large, gaping holes in the exterior and although it was hard to see, she thought she spotted a silhouette in one. 

"He always comes here when he needs to think," Jem murmured and led Tessa through the doorway of the building, the door hanging half off its hinges and opened wide to the elements. The room was coated in a thin layer of dust, and they ascended a creaking staircase in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Jem let out a hacking cough and Tessa wrapped her arm around his shoulders, silently providing him support, which he returned with a grateful smile.

On the third and uppermost floor they halted when they reached a closed door, both turning to look at each other. Tessa's body was rigid with tension and anxiety and although she tried taking calming breaths, her heart beat sped up in anticipation of what they both knew to be behind that door. 

"I'll wait out here for a little and give you two some privacy to work things out. If I come in after fifteen minutes is that alright?" he whispered in a low voice, his silver eyes staring deeply into her gray ones. 

"That's perfect," 

She grasped his hand and squeezed tightly, her eyes full of gratitude and unspoken feeling. "Thank you Jem. Thank you so much for everything."

She pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek and a soft, warm smile graced his mouth. His lips quirked up, a look of faint amusement playing across his features. 

"You got this. Go get 'em."

He winked at her and she laughed, taking one last deep breath before turning the handle to the door and entering the room, the decisive click of the lock sounding as she shut the door behind her. Most of the wall facing the exterior was missing, leaving a gaping hole that exposed the room to the elements. Will's back was to her and he was sitting on the floor, his head bowed and his feet dangling out of the building. The fiery reds and golds of the setting sun poured into the room, bathing Will in a golden, ethereal light. 

"Will?" her voice sounded far, far away and she was transfixed to the floor, her nerves turning her feet leaden. His dark silhouette stood up, turning around to face her. The golden light of the dying sun formed a halo of brilliance around his head and his skin seemed to glow with an inner light. Tessa thought he looked like an angel. He had a beautiful expression of peace on his face, although it was tinged with slight incredulity as he blinked, his dark hair falling into his eyes a bit.

"Tess?" His voice was tentative, as if he couldn't quite tell if she was real or a dream. 

The softness of his voice and the sound of her name on his tongue unleashed something in her and she rushed forward. He caught her in his arms as she barreled into him, and despite all that had happened between them, he wrapped his arms tightly around her. 

"Jem told me everything. He told me everything. I'm so sorry Will. I'm here. I'm never letting go. I promise," she murmured to him, and as she spoke, she felt the tension leave his body, and some invisible barrier cracked inside him at that moment. He gripped her tighter to his chest—as if he was fearful of her slipping through his fingers—as he buried his face in her hair. She felt silent sobs wracking his body, tears dripping down his cheeks, and she reached up her hand to stroke his hair. 

"Please forgive me Tess. I never meant to hurt you—"

She lifted her head, and their faces were mere inches apart. Their breath mingled, and she gently kissed away his tears. 

"It's okay Will. It's okay. Promise no more secrets though?" she murmured against his cheek and he grabbed her chin in between his fingers with a firm yet gentle grip, forcing her eyes to meet his bright midnight ones. 

"Promise," the words were filled with such conviction and passion and the next moment his lips claimed hers, warmth instantly spreading throughout her body and fireworks exploding behind her closed eyelids. She missed this feeling, missed the way she came alive around him, missed the pure elation that shot through her veins. She missed him. They were clinging to each other with a sort of fierceness that came with the fear of losing each other, and she was drowning, drowning, drowning in the feeling of him...

A loud creaking noise sounded from behind them and they broke apart their kiss, Tessa still in his embrace, his arms wrapped around her waist. Jem was standing in the doorway, an uncomfortable expression on his face as he tried to close the door and slip back into the hallway unnoticed. Will laughed and beckoned Jem forward with enthusiastic hand gestures, his demeanor light and free with a weight lifted off his shoulders.

As Jem walked towards them, he broke out into a huge grin, his awkwardness at walking in on them dissipating and his face brightening when he comprehended what them being that close to each other meant. When he reached them, his eyes lively and smile beaming, Tessa enveloped him in a bone-crushing hug, Will joining in a second later. 

"We're going to figure this out," Tessa whispered, her arms wrapped around the two boys. 

"Together," Will vowed. 

The three of them remained in that position for a long time afterwards, holding on tightly and gathering strength from each other as the dying sunset that poured into the room faded into a star-filled night. 

A/N: Hey! So I never really had an end-game for this story, I just sort of write as ideas come to mind, but I think I'll probably be wrapping it up soon, unless anything new strikes me. Thank you for all the amazing support, it truly, truly means a lot to me. Anyhow, enjoy and have a great rest of your day! <3