Chapter Twenty One.

After everyone left the table from lunch, I walked towards my caravan. As I was walking, Penny came up to me. I gasped as I looked at her. She had tattoos all over her face and her tongue was forked. I hugged her.

"I didn't notice while we were in there. What happened?" I asked frantically.

Tears fell down from her eyes. "My dad," she answered shortly.

I nodded. "I'm so sorry. But as long as you're here, you never have to see him again," I said.

"I know. I'm not sure if Paul loves me anymore," she said sadly.

"Penny, I know for a fact that Paul would never judge someone based on their looks. He knows what that feels like. He loves people for who they are as a person. And he loves you, Penny," I said.

She smiled softly. "Thank you for that," she said and wiped her tears.

"You're welcome. Now go talk to him. I'm sure he'd love to talk," I said.

She nodded and hurried away. I smiled and walked into the caravan. Thankfully, Jimmy wasn't there. I placed my suitcase back underneath my bed. Then I sat down on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

After awhile, I turned my head towards the window. I saw Ethel walking towards the main tent. She looked angry. With a sigh, I got up and ran out the door. I caught up to her and turned her around.

"Ethel? What's going on?" I asked.

Her eyes looked different. They were a mix between angry, tired, and scary. They were missing the love they normally had.

"Nothing, sweetheart. Go back to your bed and rest. I'm sure you haven't slept a wink since you heard the news," she said.

"Are you really sick?" I asked.

She looked taken aback. "My sickness is progressing, but it's not too bad," she whispered.

"Oh okay. We're gonna get through this together," I said, taking her hand.

She looked at my hand and gave a smile. A fake one.

"I know. Now go back to bed. You need it," she said.

I smiled and looked to her side pocket. There was a gun.

"Ethel, why do you have that gun?" I asked sternly.

"Shhh! It's not mine. I'm holding for-" she paused a second like she was thinking. "I'm holding it for Dell," she said.

"Dell? Why the fuck would you hold his gun?" I asked.

"He asked me to. I'm giving it back now. It's nothing for you to worry about," she said.

"Okay," I began, sounding like I didn't believe her. "I'm gonna go lay down. I'll see you later, okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. I love you," she said, giving me a hug.

"I love you too. Are you sure you're okay?" I asked.

"Yes. I'm fine. Goodbye, honey," she said, caressing my cheek. Then she turned around and left.

I was concerned, but also really tired. So I walked back to my bed and laid down slowly.

As time passed, I just stared at the ceiling and sometimes out the window. My thoughts kept me busy. When I checked the clock, I realized that it was eight o'clock and I had missed dinner. But I didn't care. I wasn't that hungry. Suddenly, a loud bang ran over the tents. I sat up quickly before realizing that it could be people moving the attractions. I let out a relieved sigh.