“Let’s start here,” Emma points to a bangle vendor. We trail over, leaving the boys to do their own thing. The old lady shows us some beautiful bangles and I purchase a pair for myself and for Mannat and Nafeeza. Emma gets some for herself and her mum too.

We finish all our shopping just after lunchtime. Completely starved, we find the boys playing with some kids on the street and shuffle into a small restaurant.

Kya lego saab?” the young waiter asks us in Hindi. Ayaan asks him what’s good and then orders for all of us.

“Did you get everything babe?” Ayaan asks me when Liam leaves for the bathroom and Emma goes to order one more thing at the counter.

“I got your mum the most incredible centerpiece for a coffee table and your dad a little paperweight that was hand carved. I’ll show you when we get home.”

“Did you get anything for yourself?”

“I got something for us,” I lean over and find the bag with what I’m looking for. I hand it to him. He opens it curiously and smiles from ear to ear when he sees it. His and her keys holders.

“These are nice. Thank you,” he smiles at me.

“You’re welcome. But you’ll have to screw ‘em into the wall. I’m not good with a hammer,” I tell him.

“But you can use a gun,” he snickers. “Do you wanna do something tonight?”

“What’s tonight?”

“Nothing. Just wondering if you want to do something fun,” he shrugs.

“Like what?”

“There’s a bonfire tomorrow night at the main square,” Emma drops a flyer in front of us. “Let’s go.”

“Sounds like it’ll be fun,” Ayaan nods.

We finished up lunch and then head back home. We decided to walk since we weren’t too far from the bungalows.

“Let me hold those for you,” Ayaan grabs the bags out of my hand. I insist on holding some and after some arguing, he gives in. Ayaan holds the door open as we exit and once we’re on our way, he slyly slips his hand into mine.

I look down and then up at him but his gaze is focused on our friends ahead. Instead on arguing, I let it be.

Emma and I had run out earlier today and bought something nicer to wear. I snagged a really pretty coral dress while Emma stuck to shorts and a blouse.

After lunch, I showered up and got ready for tonight. It was almost an hour-long drive so we had to leave around 6. I was excited. We did a bonfire for Mehnaz’s wedding and it was a heck of a lot of fun.

“Ready love?” Ayaan walks into my room.

“Just about,” I grab my cardigan off the bed and then leave with him. He locks the door while I adjust my heeled sandals. Emma and Liam come outside then too and I wink at Emma when she adjusts her top. She giggles and walks over, linking her arm through mine.

Liam flags down a rental car and I shuffle in first. Ayaan slips in beside me and then Liam so Emma takes the front.

I roll down my window and lie my head on the back head rest. The car swerves a bit and I slide towards Ayaan a bit. Too lazy to move, I leave my head on his shoulder and watch the streets pass by.

The sky gets darker and darker and by the time we arrive the stars are shining bright. Liam pays the driver and we find our way to the entrance. We pay for our entrance and one of the staff leads us to our own table in the open field, far from where the bonfire was set.