Go The Distance

Harry and Hermione entered the Great Hall with the rest of the school and awaited for the sorting ceremony to commence. The sixth year Prefects that they were didn't allow them to sit where they wanted to, but being near the head of the table wasn't a bad thing. Harry looked over the table and was pleasantly surprise to see that Snape was not among the teachers, but he rationalized that he was simply busy or something. He also saw Professor Aberforth Dumbledore looking out amongst the students, looking rather bored, or irritated. It was hard to tell. The man reminded him too much of a muggle comedian who also seemed to be cynical to the core. He also spotted the man named Slughorn at the teachers table and it confused Harry. Hermione also noticed the teachers setup as well and frowned.

"Wait. If Professor Dumbledore is still here for Defense Against the Dark Arts, what's Slughorn here for? And where's Snape?" She asked him in a hushed whisper.

Harry shrugged and looked at the table hopefully.

"Maybe my prayers have been answered and that greasy git got sacked."

Hermione giggled and swatted his arm.

"Harry. Play nice."

"I did. For five years. Since he's not here, I won. Now let's hear what our headmaster has to say."

Sure enough, the old man rose to his feet and gave the Great Hall a bright smile.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year here at Hogwarts! Before we begin with our customary feast, there are things that need to be done. Namely, the Sorting! Now, I know that you will make these new, eager young ones feel right at home as they too, prepare to learn all that is learnable here at our beloved school. Now, without further ado, I present the Hogwarts Sorting hat, who has been nicknamed Hatty by a certain young second year" His bright blue eyes seemed to twinkle in amusement as a small girl at the Ravenclaw table reddened slightly.

Harry looked up and saw the Hat scowl at Dumbledore.

"Maybe I should have sorted you into Hufflepuff, feather brain." It stated bluntly.

Several of the students looked at the hat in shock while Harry and the rest of the Gryffindors tried not to laugh. Aberforth smirked at Dumbledore.

"I like this hat."

Dumbledore gave his brother a small smile.

"Come now. Enough teasing the Headmaster. We have much to do, Hatty."

"Yes, Headmaster Feather Brain."

It was too much for the Gryffindors and they lost it, laughing while the rest of the school tried to figure out what had just happened. After several minutes, they were able control themselves. Dumbledore turned the floor over to the hate who glared at the Gryffindors.

"Laugh while you can, oh brave house of Gryffindor. I still have reservations about certain members placement, right Mister Potter?"

Harry cocked an eyebrow at the hate before he responded.

"Careful what you say, Hatty. Otherwise, you'll lose that mouth of yours."

The hat simply stared at him and shuddered.

"A threat worthy of a Slythrein. Somehow, I believe you could do that. Anyway, let's get this show on the road."

It cleared its throat, well, would have if it had one, and began its song. It seemed that it just reused the one from the previous year, but they still applauded it none the less and the sorting commenced. After the last first year sat down, Dumbledore moved back to his spot and smiled.