PART 14 || ON THE MEND

"Just a pinch of  salt in the wound,

you'll be fine."

I watched Rose walk away with Luna, stroking her main as she spoke to the mare soothingly. Being more alert was refreshing, I could hear all the smaller noises, smell everything. I could see for miles, and I could also see Fili shuffling on his feet, edging away from us slowly. He thought he was being sneaky, but alas.

"Where are you going?" I said plainly fixing my eyes on him. He quickly stopped to turn and look at me with a nonchalant expression. His eyes shifted between me, Kili and Rose

"Nowhere. Just...going to help Rose. You know..." He trailed off trying to find the right words and failing miserably.

"Hmm. Sure." I muttered narrowing my eyes at him. He smiled giving me a thumbs up and cheesy grin before plodding off in search of my sister. I hadn't really given it much thought, but I could see now the affection he felt for her. It made me slightly uneasy.

I placed a hand on my abdomen feeling the ache shoot back through my stomach. The wound was now clean, but it didn't mean it hurt any less. I winced and hunched a little at the stabbing pains. I was in no fit state to be dishing out rules. Kili quickly closed the distance between us to help steady me.

"Cara, are you ok?" He rubbed my back soothingly as I gripped his hand. Breathing heavily, I trying to regain my composure. I tried so hard to be strong all the time. It was exhausting.

"I'm ok... I'm ok. Just going to take time to heal." Kili looked at me with a worried expression like he knew I wasn't ok. The ache began to dull a little, but it still lingered reminding me of its presence.

"Kili, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with you all..." I willed away the sudden fatigue. I'd been sleeping so much; how could I still be tired?

"What? No, Cara, we won't leave you like this. Thorin won't leave without you, trust me. I certainly won't." He said smiling at me. His smile was enough to make me forget the pain. By the Valar I knew I had it bad for him. My wolf clawed at me from the inside just being close to him. I felt my skin tingled with that familiar feeling when I felt the urge to shift, but it was different.

"I know you won't." I smiled softly at the dwarf. The space between us has lessened significantly. Any closer and... well I didn't want to find out what would happen if I lost control. But his eyes had captured mine so gently, my wolf didn't want to let this moment go.

"I think I should get something to eat." I said pushing the urge back down. Well, more like punch it back down. It was almost intoxicating being around him. Kili, none the wiser, nodded leading me back inside to find the others. His smile faltered a little.

"Yeah, course."

We walked slowly back inside, and Kili led me to an outside balcony area where all the dwarves were seated finished the last of their food. Once I approached, they all seem to brighten. Bofur came over to me first gently wrapping his arms around me in a warm hug.