Much to her surprise, there were no guards outside the Queen's chambers. Strange, considering one or two always stood outside her doors, but today everything seemed different. As her steps echoed in the tall ceilings, she rushed to the Queen's chamber and knocked on the door twice before abandoning all decorum and letting herself in.

Estella Rose Lovegrove sat on her chair, in front of her mirror, arranging her makeup. Behind her, the scared little girl, no longer scared apparently, combed he hair. Neither looked close to being done and Arabella found herself envying their nonchalance.

"Your Grace, good morning," she said as the two women carried on with their tasks.

"Marquise, what a pleasant surprise." Estella turned to face the girl. "Caroline, isn't this a pleasant surprise?"

"It indeed is pleasant, Your Grace."

Both women turned to Arabella, wide and honest, albeit slightly unsettling smiles spreading through their faces.

"Do you need something, dear Marquise? Perhaps a nice necklace to go with your dress?"

"Your Grace, I need you to come with me," Arabella interrupted the Queen.

"Is something the matter?" The Flower's features hardened and her eyes widened.

Arabella went straight to the point. "I am afraid we must leave the city at once."

The Queen's eyes fixated on her for a few seconds, as if trying to understand what was happening. Then, drawing another smile, she spoke careless words.

"My sweet Marquise, what are you saying?" The woman turned back to face the mirror, as the Caroline girl resumed her hair-combing task. "Today is Buford's coronation. I know my son is a challenging fellow, but one can't simply run away from one's duties."

"Your Grace," Arabella straightened and towered over them, "we can waste precious minutes exchanging pleasantries and excuses, but the result will not be any different. You will come with me. You are in grave danger. The illness that claimed your three sons has taken over Buford too. He is planning something. There is a weapon in the city and until we have found and dismantled it, the safest thing is for you to leave the capital at once."

There was something different about Queen Estella that Arabella could not quite detect. She seemed less stiff, less...withered. Even the scared girl seemed to have warmed up to her. The two women looked at ease at last and here stood Arabella, wrecking their newfound harmony with her abrupt and fatalistic news.

"Are you saying my son is..." The Queen's words died in her lips. Arabella simply nodded and the rain in Estella's eyes began to pour. "Why must we leave, though? Can't you just...fight him like you did my other sons?"

"The illness is still in Leverfort, Your Grace. Until we completely neutralize it, the best thing to do is get you and Princess Electa out of Ivoryport. You are the future of the Crown, after all. The furthest you are from the enemy, the better."

Queen Estella remained in her chair a few seconds more, withering again before Arabella's eyes. Then, drying her tears, she stood and ordered the girl to bring her cloak.

"Very well, Marquise. Lead the way."

********

Eldon was now the waterfall beneath him.

His mind raced just as wild, his thoughts flowed just as sure, chasing each other, making him realize just how wrong he had been. It all made sense now.

"Emmu!" The familiarity of Tim's voice called from the distance, but Eldon was too in his own head to acknowledge him. "Emmu!"

Eldon remained frozen, standing at Alma's very edge, his heart on the verge of jumping out of his own body. How could he make such a mistake? Was he really so blind? He couldn't believe it, refused to accept it. Yet he knew it was true.