Kyoutani K. || Confession

word count: 1607

Kyoutani remembered the first day he met you.

"Here."

Panting by the sides of the community gymnasium as he sat on the floor was a fair tell he was exhausted from his daily training at the volleyball court. When he felt a shadow looming over him and a soft voice, looking up, he could barely breathe.

He remembered your eyes and how beautiful they were, your bright smile stretching from ear to ear as your arm extended a water bottle to him. You looked gracious, poised – almost too beautiful to be here, and Kyoutani was simply dazed.

"You should stay hydrated," you told him, extending your arm further.

Kyoutani cursed at just how ridiculous he must have looked, and just how long he had been gawking at your face. "Right," he replied, grabbing the bottle from you before looking down, ashamed to meet your eyes.

He didn't expect you to stay so he tried his best to hide the blush forming on his cheeks when you took a seat on the floor beside him, stretching your limbs to cool down.

"I saw you play," you told him. "You're really good."

He could feel his heart racing upon hearing your words. For a moment, he had completely forgotten how to speak – and it wasn't like he didn't have any common courtesy, of course he knew he should thank you for your compliment, but the way your eyes held him captive had his throat drying up, effectively stopping himself from uttering a single word.

You giggled upon his awkwardness. "I'm (y/n)."

He repeated your name softly, testing it on the tip of his tongue as you nodded in approval.

"And you?" you asked.

"Oh, um–" he blinked, "Kyoutani Kentarou."

A call of your name from the other end of the hall from your friend was your cue to leave. A sigh escaped your lips as you got up, but just before you left, you turned back once again.

"I hope to see you around."

Kyoutani could only watch as you left, the image of your face etched in the back of his mind from that day on.

~X•X•X~

"You have a crush?!" Yahaba practically exclaimed loud enough for the whole team to hear. Kyoutani's eyes widened at the setter's shriek, grabbing his collar almost to beat him up for being so damn loud – and Kyoutani's red face was a sight like no other.

"SHUT UP!"

"Aw, Kyouken, that's so cute!" Oikawa butted in, but immediately retracting when his deathly glare pierced Oikawa's soul.

"W-what do I do?" Kyoutani asked his teammates, which made all of them gasp – because when has the mad dog ever sounded so soft before?

"Ah, perfect opportunity to test our social skills!" Oikawa beamed, suddenly turning this opportunity into a discussion, or even a sort of lecture. The team wasn't sure where Oikawa got the whiteboard from and how it was in the clubroom – had it always been there? And since when did Oikawa put on his glasses?

Nonetheless, the boy was far too excited in a matter that he didn't even have any business with, writing down 'confession ideas' in large letters on the board.

"Let's get the ball rolling!" Oikawa exclaimed.

Watari raised his hand, and dramatically, Oikawa pointed towards him, stretched arms and a leg raised as the Karasuno boys did to support their members – it was completely unnecessary.