Haiba L. || Bookshelf

word count: 591

"God damn it," you murmured as you eyed the very top of the library shelf.

The book that you required for class was located very strategically on the highest point of the shelf, and with no ladders or chairs to help you out, you had no choice but to extend your arm out to reach it.

Unfortunately for you, the height of the shelf made it damn near impossible for you to do so. Even after tiptoeing and stretching your limbs, your fingers only just barely brushed the book.

As you grunted, you suddenly saw a long arm extending above you, grabbing the book you had been eyeing and struggling to reach. You turned, following the hand and found yourself staring up at your tall classmate, Haiba Lev.

"Were you reaching for this?" he asked with a cheeky grin, offering the book to you.

You sighed, "Yes. Thank you." Taking the book from his hand, you clutched it tightly onto your chest.

"No problem, (y/n)-san. You can call me if you need anymore help."

"That's nice to hear," you smiled.

The next time you were at the library to get the next book you required for the week, you were baffled to find it in the same position as the previous book you borrowed – on the very top shelf.

You cursed internally, but before you could even try to reach it, you heard a familiar voice offering, "Need help?"

You bit your lip, quite honestly embarrassed, but you turned to face Lev again. "Do you mind?"

"Not at all," he said, easily reaching the book almost effortlessly.

The third time you came back to look for the book required that week, you were certain it must be in shorter place, at least somewhere within reach. But alas, fate had other plans.

As you eyed the book on the top shelf yet again, you groaned in frustration. Almost angrily, you exclaimed, "You've got to be kidding me!"

You turned to look for your classmate again, but you didn't have to. He was already behind you, his expression somewhat worried. He asked, "Are you angry?"

You sighed, "Just frustrated. This just makes me feel really insecure about my height."

Lev frowned. "I'm sorry."

You furrowed your brows, unsure why he was apologizing, but before you could ask, he clarified, "I have a confession. I'm the one who keeps putting the books we need on the top shelf."

You blinked. "Why?"

Lev fiddled with his thumbs. For a large guy, he looked completely vulnerable and timid, his cheeks turning a crimson red. "Well, I kind of just wanted to find a reason to talk to you."

You were completely dazed. "But why?"

"He likes you. Now stop making noise in the library and get out!" the librarian scolded from beside you.

You gulped in embarrassment. "Oh."

The both of you were forced out for talking too much, and when you exited, Lev chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his head, "Sorry, (y/n)-san."

You smiled. You had to admit, he was kind of cute. "Well, you don't need a reason to talk to me. How 'bout we grab dinner sometime? Then we can talk all you want."

A grin stretched widely on Lev's face, his heart pounding in joy.

It had been two months into your relationship and you couldn't be more thankful to have such a tall boyfriend to help you reach where you couldn't.

And for that reason, you never seemed to worry much about your height anymore.

______________________________

a/n

lev u tall boi gosh