Government Officials

Start from the beginning

He was still standing there when the front door opened and two men walked in. Jackson looked up and his eyes narrowed. There was something... peculiar about the two men... They scanned the room, apparently looking for something... or someone. Their eyes landed on Jackson and he watched the looks on their faces change from searching to found. 

Jackson's stomach did a flip. He got a bad feeling. Somehow he knew he would not enjoy what these two wanted to talk to him about. Before he could even think about his actions, he reached into his desk drawer and pulled out his gun, quickly buckling the holster to his belt. He grabbed his keys. He wasn't really sure why he was nervous.

The two men reached him and, without smiling, they said in unison, "Jackson Wolfe. We need you to come with us, please."

"Like hell," he growled at them.

"I'm sorry, but you don't have any say in the matter," one of the men stated and then he grabbed for Jackson's arm...

He didn't know what came over him. He didn't know what they wanted with him. He just reacted. Jackson twisted out of the man's reach, elbowing him in the gut. The other one made a quick grab at him, but he narrowly avoided it, jumped lithely over his desk and sprinted for the door. He could hear Macy yelling his name but he didn't stop. He ran for his truck and jumped in. He was peeling out of the lot when the two men burst out of the door. He saw Macy nearly plow into them as she came flying out after.

He didn't look back. He just drove away. He had no idea who they were or what they wanted, but he wasn't going to be taken anywhere against his will. Not by anyone. One thing Jackson Wolfe was not was a criminal. He didn't break laws. Therefore he didn't get detained against his will.

When he was a safe distance away, he pulled out his phone and called Macy's number. She answered on the first ring. "Jackson, where are you going? Who are these men?" She was sobbing.

"I don't know, Macy. What did they tell you?"

"Th-they say you are wanted, sweetie. They are from Utah. G-government officials, Jackson! What's going on?"

Jackson stared at his phone in shock. He placed it back to his ear and jerked it away again when he heard the Chief's angry bark. "Wolfe! You have got some talking to do, boy!" The Chief sounded like he was about to have a coronary.

"Chief, look... I don't know who those guys are, or what they want, but...."

"You get back here and handle this, then! If you haven't done anything then you've got no reason to be running! You're just making it look like you've done something wrong, kiddo."

"Chief, I'm not coming back there 'til I find out what's going on. There's not going to be anything I can do if they force me to go with them. I won't have a chance at that point. You know the government."

There was silence for a moment. Finally the Chief let out a ragged breath. "What have ya gotcher self into, kid?"

"I swear on my life I do not know what they want with me, Chief, but I'm going to find out. Put Macy on."

He heard her soft sobs before her voice came through. "Sweetie? Jackson, please tell me what's going on."

"Macy, listen. You've got to hold it together. I need to figure this out. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I can. I promise.... Baby? Macy? Listen to me. I don't know what they want. I didn't do anything wrong. Do NOT listen to anything they tell you. Something’s up. I can feel it."

He could hear her choking back her tears. She would pull it together. She was a lot stronger than she seemed. "Okay, darling. I'll see what I can find out, too."