~~ 12 ~~

(A/N): The song mentioned below is called You Are my Sunshine, and I do not claim credits for it. Listen to the video above for the full song.

Cyrah's P.O.V.

   Hello, Cyrah,

   I know you are annoyed at this message. I know you too well.

   I'm sorry I had to visit you in your dreams.

   But if you're receiving this message, step one of the plan you agreed to is already complete.

   Wait for my cue for step two, you'll know later, I'll tell you. Don't solve it yet. 

   Good luck.

   - Your best friend

   I wake to, tangled in my sheets, the nightgown hitched up at my lower thighs. I think back to the dream that I had before. Step one... what plan did I agree to? Does it have to do with me being inserted into the maze? Why couldn't 'my best friend' put their name? How did he or she visit my dreams? Most important of all, what's the cue?

  Since there's nothing to do, I take off the nightgown and put on the robe, shivering slightly when my bare skin meets the damp and chilly air. I open the door slowly, not wanting to wake Alby, Minho, and Newt. As I tiptoe past the doors of the occupied and empty rooms, I notice that the door to Minho's room is also slightly ajar.

   I go to my favourite spot, and I notice that the sun is already up, though quite low, and the sky is orange. 

   "Morning," Minho says, emerging from the pillar next to where I sat down on the steps of the Homestead. He looks tired, a bit crumpled, wearing a hoodie and shorts.

   "Morning to you too," I say, yawning slightly at the last word, my breath hitching.

   "Uh-huh. What are you doing up early?"

   I quickly weigh my choices. If I tell him about the dream, they may be suspicious, and the dream could also just be that. Only a dream. And I would have wasted their time. But I could also withhold, but what if the dream was genuine? I decide to tell them if the events in the dream happen. "Nothing, I had a weird dream and couldn't sleep, so I came here. You?"

   "I don't know, I think I'm just an early person."

   "Hmm. Do you think we should wake them up or should we wait a while, taking mercy on them?"

   "I don't know. We can go check and see if we're feeling generous?" Minho offers, and a devilish smirk appears on his face. I feel one curling up on mine as well, and for anyone watching, we must have matching looks, our wide smirks and narrowed eyes.

   "Great idea, Greenie," I whisper now, getting into character.

   "Don't call me that!" Minho protests. I snort, knowing exactly what my next comeback will be.

   "I didn't call you 'that', I called you 'Greenie'," I say in a fit of giggles.

   "Really, Shank," he grumbles. "Let's go already, or else they'll wake up."

   "No need," Newt says smoothly, ––– wait what? ––– jogging down the steps. Well, he was smooth until he got a glance at what I'm wearing, which he turns beetroot red at. I follow his eyes to my robe, which he stares at with his mouth open slightly, face red. "I-I'm up. What secret plan were you two hatching? Can I get on it?"

   I bat my eyes innocently. "No sir, we were just going to scare you and Alby awake, but we don't need to do that for you anymore since you're already awake. We'll just...you know...'get' Alby."

   "Yeah...Count me in!" Newt squeals, gesturing towards the Homestead entrance. "What are you gonna do?"

   "We...haven't thought about that, yet," Minho confesses.

   On instinct, I hum a tune, watching their rather amusing conversation. 

   "You know that song, Love?" Newt asks, giving me a shocked look. No one ever gets their personal memories back. This is a new record, I suppose.

    "Uh-huh...wait! Shut up, guys!"

   "Well, that's nice," Minho grumbles and then shuts his mouth. Newt just does it, looking utterly bewildered at what I'm attempting to do.

   I pick at my brain, concentrating on playing the tune of the song over and over again. The lyrics appear slowly, in different verses, but the end result is satisfying.

   "You are my sunshine,

   My only sunshine.

   You make me happy,

   When skies are grey,

   You never know dear,

   How much I love you,

   So please don't take my sunshine away."

   I finish singing and both of them clap. "What for?"

   Newt blushes. "Nothing, you just have...an angel voice, Love."

   I feel my cheeks flare pink in embarrassment and flattery. "Thanks, Newt."

   "Lovebirds, if you guys are still on for the plan, I have an idea," Minho offers, wiggling his eyebrows up and down at the word 'lovebirds'. For some reason, Newt shoots Minho a dirty look, one that promises murder. I mean, I understand why he's mad at the nickname, he doesn't like me, but I don't think a little bit of teasing warranted that.

   "What's your plan, then?" I ask.

   "What's your plan, then?" Minho mimics, trying an especially thick accent like mine which ends up extremely butchered. Newt and I both roll our eyes simultaneously.

   "Seriously, haven't you had enough of that?" Newt groans, irritation prominent in his voice. "He mimicked me yesterday during the tour and it was shucking awful."

   "Shank," I mutter, making sure Minho catches it. I receive a glare in return. "No, seriously, Slinthead, what's your plan?"

   "So. My plan is for us to go chargin' into Alby's room and holler that song in our worst singing voice, especially loud. How's that?"

   "I hate to admit this, but that's completely and utterly brilliant." I deadpan and give him a high-five.

   "Yeah, Man, we've really got to do that. Quickly now, before Alby wakes up," Newt adds.

   "Come on, let's go," I hiss and we sneak to Alby's room, tiptoeing across all the creaky floorboards.

   "Ready?" Newt asks when we get to his door.

   "Yeah," Minho agrees.

   "Definitely," I confirm.

   "Let's go. 3...2...1...Now!"

   And then we all slam the door open and sing You Are my Sunshine. You can guess Alby didn't give the best reaction.