She begins to descend, her steps unfaltering even though the lengths of her high heels add quite a few inches to her height.

Alastair steps out of the plane and takes in the world, just as I'm sure he did when he disembarked in Elleany. His gaze settling on us, he breaks out in a grin, his clothes just as impeccable as my sister's.

When they both reach the bottom of the stairs and stand side by side, Gwen in her heels is as tall as him. She clearly put thought into her shoes. It's not merely a coincidence their heights line up. Nothing involving my sister is a coincidence. Everything is calculated. Planned out.

They approach us, keeping pace with one another, neither conceding to the other.

When they reach us, Gwen takes mine and Colton's hands—the equivalent of a hug. It's the most she'll allow herself around others in this moment. "Khaleediay." Brothers. As she pronounces the Amorian word, there is emotion there.

I squeeze her hand. "Khaleedessa," Colton and I both say.

Her eyes land on Vienna for a few seconds before she lets go of our hands to gesture to the heir. "This is Alastairi Moretti," she says to all of us, including Alix who remains standing with his guards.

I incline my head. "It is an honor to have you here, Moretti."

He bows. "Please call me Alastair, Preeminence, and it is an honor for me to visit your world. I haven't seen much, but I can already tell it's exquisite." His eyes roam over all of us. "Allow me to make sure I know who everyone is. Of course, Colton." He bows to my brother. "The Theta. The Undici." He bows to each of them. "The former Tresais, correct?" he says to my blond-hair cousin. "Erik, I believe?"

"You believe correctly," Alix says.

Alastair's gaze settles on Vienna. "I'm afraid I don't know who you are."

Keeping her head up, she curtsies. "Vienna Rosen. I'm from Elleany."

"A family friend of the Society," Colton clarifies. "A dear friend of mine."

"He says friend," Erik drawls, "but he means love of his life."

I'm about to throttle Erik.

Alastair looks confused. "Aren't you to marry an Amoris? Wasn't that why your Preeminence came to Amoria?"

Colton somehow manages to keep his expression neutral. "Yes to both of your questions."

The heir frowns. "I am sorry then."

As Gwen leads him toward Alix, Erik leans forward and mouths, You're welcome, to Colton and Vienna.

My sister introduces the king and the heir to each other, translating for both of them. There was a time I thought she might have had a romantic interest in Alix. How would she react if she learns what he wanted to do with Iris? That he strangled Vienna?

*****

After all the planes carrying the Amorian soldiers have landed and we greet them, we return to the limo that brought us here and wait as Gwen and Alastair finish talking to the soldiers. Alix is in his own car. Neither Vienna nor I want to be in a car with him, and I'm sure his feelings toward me are mutual.

Sebastian runs his fingers down the sides of his face, over the stubble there. "Could he be anymore unfairly handsome?"

Erik looks our cousin straight in the eyes. "That's funny. I think the same thing about you only I replace handsomewith ugly."