I couldn't smile with her. Manny was an affected player, too. He hadn't logged on to play with me in four days. He'd even gone back home to refresh. I knew the game made him sick; the headaches kept coming for him. And the way he looked in-game was hard to swallow.

"Maybe if it's affecting players so strongly, you should pull the project altogether," I said, pursing my lips. "For the better health of—"

"You're aware of the contract you signed with us, aren't you, Miss Charines?"

I blinked, nodded, and gulped at the same time. Her tone of voice had a hint of warning. Would my questions cancel my contract? I didn't remember a clause stating that. I was also really excited when I signed.

"We're well aware of the dangers within our game. However, games have presented dangers since the 1970s. Bio-Lab has done nothing different. We've evolved over the years, alongside technology."

"Right." I nodded, clutching my tablet tight. "I'm sure whatever it is plaguing the players your team will figure it out."

"Correct." Judith's smile made me sick. Even when she continued, "And with the accurate and truthful notes from beta-testers like yourself, we'll be ready to launch to the public before you know it."

|||

As I made my way home and walked through the front door, I glanced at my phone. Luis had texted me. A cheerful "I missed you at Bio-Lab today. Was hoping to see you."

I smiled. My thumb hovered, ready to reply, but I stopped in the hallway. The door shut behind me, only intensifying the voices in the kitchen. It was more than just my grandmother. There was Manny and his mom, my tití Suzette. They weren't angry but concerned. At least, everyone but Manny was. He sounded more tired and irritated.

Pocketing my phone, I placed my tablet bag on the floor as I took off my shoes. "Is everything okay?" I called out and cautiously approached them. "Should I be worried?"

The kitchen, which normally smelled like hot dinner by early evening, smelled like coffee instead. There were three cups on the table, but no plates. No food. My aunt sat on one chair beside my grandmother. Manny stood near the sink, head down, arms crossed. He glanced at me as I walked in.

"Hey, cuzzo," he said, his voice groggy.

I gave him a weak smile before I looked at my aunt and grandmother. "Did I miss something? Did I forget to do something?"

"No," my grandmother said, shaking her head.

Next to her, my aunt pressed her hands into her hair, moving her curls to one side. "Your cousin was dead set on coming here tonight," she huffed and looked at me. "I tried to get him to stay home. He needs a doctor."

I frowned.

"Mom, I promised Chari I'd play with her to the end. I can't just leave her hanging." Manny slid one hand over his head. He tried to sound respectful to his mother, but I could tell his patience had run thin. How many times had he repeated that today?

And how many times have I told him I'd still give him his cut of the beta pay? He didn't have to play.

"See what I mean?" My aunt pointed at him. "Chari, please, talk to your cousin. Look at him. He hasn't eaten all day today. He looks like death. And some boy keeps texting his phone and—"

"Don't start, mom," Manny grumbled.

"No, I will." My aunt stood. "At this rate, I'm thinking it's drugs. Are you on drugs?" She turned and looked at me. "Is your cousin buying drugs from this boy?"

I was shocked. I'd never seen this side of my aunt before. She was always so loving and welcoming of her son, not once accusing him of anything negative. But here she was, calling him a drug user because the game I asked him to play changed his behavior.

Before Manny could say another word, I placed myself between him and his mother. With my hands in front of me, I pleaded with her, "It isn't drugs, I swear to you."

"Don't cover for him." She shook her head.

Still seated at the table, my grandmother placed her fingers to her temple.

"I'm not covering for him," I said. "It's the game we're playing. That's all. And I'm being honest. It's new and experimental; has some side effects. But—"

"Chari, if you knew todo esto could happen, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to play." My grandmother slid her coffee mug to the others. "If it's hurting him like this—"

"I didn't know," I said, regret filling every bit of me. "There was no way. This is how things get tested and approved, with trial and errors like this." I looked back at my aunt. "There's only one more week of this left, I promise. Then the beta cycle will be over and there won't be anything to play anymore."

What I said didn't satisfy either of the women in the room. They looked at me like I was the villain. Honestly, I felt like one. I knew Manny couldn't play anymore. But I also knew Manny was the one person to keep doing what he wanted, even when someone told him not to.

If he was going to keep playing, I'd rather it be with me. So, I could watch him.

He's watched over me for so long, it's only right for me to return the favor.

"Manuel." My aunt slowly approached Manny and touched his face. "I can't stop you."

"No." He averted his gaze, avoiding the look in her eyes. "Just like I can't stop you from jumping to conclusions."

My aunt moved back, her frown deepening. I could tell by the look on her face she knew her outburst was wrong. "Just come home when you're done. And talk to your father."

"Okay." He still didn't look at her.

But she looked at me. Every bit of her face was etched with pain. Touching my cheek, she said, "I love you, nena. Watch him."

Of course.