Chapter 11

That night when I logged into Love or Nothing, it was the first night I didn't try to sneak off with Manny. It was different. A part of me wanted to believe I was anxious to continue the game. The rest of me knew it was... something else. Was I excited?

I made my way towards the town's left exit facing the mountains. Anna One waited for me there. She also wasn't alone.

Luis was near her with his NPC; a short, scrawny young man with curly hair. His eyes were pastel blue. Reminded me of Easter.

The NPC smiled at me. "My name is Piero," he said, nodding. "I am Lord8's tutorial guide."

Luis stood at my side, turning to look down at me. I felt his gaze before I met them with my own. The golden specs in his eyes sang to me. This was an in-game effect. In person, he didn't have so much shimmer. Did I want him to?

Before I could react to them, I looked away and focused on Anna One and her smile.

"As you're both level twelve, you can accept group mission quests!" she exclaimed. "This one is one of my favorites."

Curious, I lifted my brow. "And why is that?"

"Simple," she said.

When Anna One turned, spreading her arms to reveal a portal behind her and Piero, Luis moved closer. His elbow bumped my arm as he shifted the position of his bag on his shoulder. A quiet "sorry," left him, but it was barely a whisper; just as awkward as I saw him in the street that afternoon.

Unable to help myself, I looked at him and caught the same awkward smile on his face. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach. I had to break the silence. "Did I miss anything?"

Scooting closer, he covered his mouth with a cupped hand and said, "You weren't here a minute ago. They were freaking quiet, like statues."

I inched close to whisper back, "Was it because I wasn't here?"

"Oh?" Luis cocked a brow. Then he laughed.

Before I could say anything else, Anna One turned back to face us. Biting my lip, I looked at her and the portal. She pointed at it. "Through here, you'll both be transported to the village of Amos, the very place where Love or Nothing's most prized jewel resides."

Looking through the magical circle of light, I saw the outline of a town. It was distant, a bit dimmed, with clouds obscuring the buildings. Yet, even at this view, I knew the town had to be beautiful.

"This is where you and Lord8 come in." Anna One's eyes danced between the two of us. "You are to go into this town and sneak into a party hosted by Amos' hailed warlock, Nhyx."

Luis adjusted the strap to his bag again, clearing his throat. "What does the party have to do with this jewel?" he asked.

"Well, I can explain that." Piero bowed his head. "You see, Nhyx has the Mulin Jewel. You're to get deep within his Amos Manor and obtain the prized piece of Love or Nothing history."

History? Did this game have a real storyline?

"Doing this without causing alarm will grant you both double experience points."

"Wait, wait, wait." Luis shook his head. "But why do we need to steal his jewel?"

"It isn't his jewel," both Anna One and Piero said at the same time. "It belongs to the world." They moved aside, giving Luis and me room to enter the portal.

We glanced at each other.

"I'm sure we'll get the details once we start the quest." I looked from Luis to the portal. The city through it called to us; light wind carrying peaceful tunes.