Chapter Twenty-eight

The crunch of snow seemed harsh to Lillyheart, frost crumbling away under her paws. She flicked one ear, smiling at Murkfall, who was padding beside her.

He smiled at her, a soft purr growing in him, and Lillyheart matched it, a warm thrum filling the space between them.

This was what happiness looked like.

For once, snow didn't seem to bother Lillyheart, as the two of them trekked along.

Technically, they weren't alone. Siltpatch, Ivyfrost, Rippleflower, and Darkice were also on the hunting patrol, but most of them were somewhere ahead of Lillyheart and Murkfall.

Murkfall bumped his head affectionately against Lillyheart, and she laughed, leaning into him.

"Ahem."

Murkfall sighed, and looked behind them. "Yes, Siltpatch?" He rolled his eyes, giving Lillyheart a faint smile. "Are you going to complain about Lillyheart and I again?"

An exasperated sigh from behind them, and Lillyheart flicked her ear. "No, Murkfall. You two can be as mushy as you want, as long as I'm not trying to sleep. I was going to say that I had scented some prey near the Shadowclan border, and I wanted to check it out."

The memory of the Shadowclan she-cat rose in Lillyheart's mind. "We can come with you!" She mewed. Murkfall gave her an odd look, and she bumped against him. "Right, Murkfall?"

The grey tom coughed, and nodded. "Right, Lillyheart. Yes, we'll come with you, Siltpatch. I'll just let the others know where we're going."

Siltpatch lurched forward. "No no no you really don't have to! I hunt better alone, I'll be fine, you won't have to co-"

"Too late!" Murkfall called back, already pushing through the snow.

Siltpatch gave a defeated sigh, and glared at Lillyheart. "You just had to invite yourselves."

Lillyheart cocked her head, looking at him quizzically. "I was trying to be helpful. Three cats are better than one, and Shadowclan has been pretty hostile with all of this cold. I just didn't think it would be safe for you to go out on your own."

Plus, there might be rogues to deal with too...

Siltpatch scoffed, starting to pad away. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself. Do me a favor, and don't follow me."

Lillyheart narrowed her gaze at the slowly retreating figure. "You do realize my mate is already headed that way?"

Siltpatch stopped in his tracks, and for a moment, the world was still, just the two of them and the dusting snow.

His words broke the silence.

"Don't follow me."

*
*
*
*
*
Of course, Lillyheart followed him. She wasn't about to let her mate's brother walk into a dangerous situation.

Hopefully Murkfall would catch up soon.

Hopefully the others let them go to the border.

Hopefully it would stop snowing soon, because it was getting very hard for Lillyheart to flounder over the thick powder.

Also, she could no longer see Siltpatch.

That was a problem.

Everything seemed like a problem right now...

"Stupid snow," Lillyheart muttered, trying to left her head higher as she pushed through a drift. "Why in starclan am I chasing Siltpatch in leafbare? Why now? Why in the snow? Why is everything so cold that I can't even feel my nose?!"

But she couldn't let herself give up now.

Time passed as she floundered through the snow. The crept lower in the sky. Clouds hid the sun, then were chased off again by the chilling breeze.

A flutter of wings, and the black form of a single crow stood out starkly against the icy blue sky, a faint cry spilling down as it dissapeared into the waning sun.

The fur on the back of Lillyheart's neck prickled.

And then a scream broke the silence.
*
*
*
*
Lillyheart couldn't push herself fast enough. She just had to make it over the next bank of snow, had to crest higher, had to get to a vantage point.

The wind started to kick up, lifting the freshly fallen snow back into the air, the flakes sticking to Lillyheart's face and chest as she ran, eyes squinting against the stinging cold.

The crunch and crush of snow doubled, and she saw a grey form slipping through the blending white, fear scent filling the space between them as Murkfall neared her, then pulled ahead, legs kicking him forward in leaps and bounds, until he pulled out of sight yet again.

Lillyheart tried to run faster, to follow her mate, to find the source of the scream, but everything seemed to be weighing on her, pulling her farther behind.

And then she was over the hill, panting and looking down at the scene, fear and disbelief blooming deep inside of her as the reality of it all sank in.

All she could see was the flood of scarlet on snow.

Hi

After one month of not working on this, and two months since the last update, I have brought you a new chapter!!!!

I am so sorry if it's short/choppy. I just didn't really feel like writing this chapter.

The next one will be easier. >:)

Grab your favorite characters and hold on tight, because a lot of drama is about to come!