Chapter Thirty-one

"Mossfang, take Minnowstripe and Larkbreeze to patrol the Shadowclan border. And Ivyfrost, you an-" Lizardtuft's broke off with a cough, but the deputy continued a breath later.

Lillyheart sat next to Owltail, listening as the medicine cat spoke of herb shortages, and that it was always hard to find catmint, but even worse with all of this snow.

Lillyheart wasn't really interested in the topic, but she listened because she had nothing else to do. Her ears perked up when she heard Lizardtuft say her name. "Softpelt, you should bring Snakepaw hunting with you. And bring Lillyheart along too."

Lillyheart sighed inwardly, not looking forward to having to tromp through the snow and brave the bitter cold. But at least she would be getting out of camp.

The three of them headed off, Snakepaw floundering through the powder that was higher than his legs, visibly shivering. "I h-h-hate s-s-sn-snow," he chattered out, trying to follow behind Softpelt, who seemed as graceful as any at could hope to be.

"I get what you mean," Lillyheart huffed, finding it harder than normal to push through the snow. "Snow is cold, and sticky, and wet, amd makes it impossible to walk, and I can't feel my paws."

There was a light chuckle from Softpelt, who stopped to let the two other members of her hunting patrol catch up. "We're never going to be able to catch any prey," she commented, a teasing smile on her face. "Your complaining will have scared them all off by the time the two of you manage to get anywhere near something to eat!"

Lillyheart scoffed, but didn't feel like putting any energy into a witty comeback. She was just so tired... she felt like she had been walking all day, but she knew they hadn't been.

They walked in silence for a bit, when Softpelt halted, noticing that Lillyheart had fallen behind Snakepaw. "Are you feeling alright, Lillyheart?"

Lillyheart nodded weakly, a tired smile on her face. "Just fine," she replied. "Let's keep going so we can find some prey."

Softpelt nodded, but her eyes showed that she doubted her clanmate's answer. "Ok then."

They didn't speak of it again.

In the end, they managed to scrounge up two voles and a mouse, and, to Lillyheart's relief, headed home.

Once in camp, she trudged to the warriors den, taking a moment to attempt to shake off any lingering snow that stuck to her fluffy pelt.

She flopped into her nest, not even bothering to curl into a ball to warm herself. She was just... so... tired. Closing her eyes, she easily slipped into the darkness of sleep, welcoming it with every aching fiber of her being.
*
*
*
*
A white cat falling into water, a black one running towards the horizon in an unfamiliar territory.

A grey cat staring right at her, eyes filled with stars. "The time is coming," they said, voice unrecognizable. "The time is coming!"

"Lillyheart?" The voice changed to one that of a kit, its voice full of fear and unease. "Lillyheart, I'm scared. The stars are falling and nothing can stop them!"

Lillyheart woke back up with a jolt, fur prickling with unease. She couldn't remember much of her dream, other than the heartwrenching fear in that kit's voice.

Drowsiness tugged at her again, but she heaved herself to her paws, that simple action using more energy than it should have.

She was just so... tired...

Lillyheart shook her head, arching her back into a stretch, padding back into the camp clearing. Cats bustled around, trying desperately to keep warm in tight clumps.