Chapter 7: It's a Dead End Road

//Vote. Comment. Thanks! (:

Oriel had waited almost impatiently the next day after breakfast, she sat at the foot of the stairs, watching the door. Her dad had gone out, saying he wanted some time alone. Even though, Oriel knew he was probably going to see how the funeral plans were coming. It wasn't snowing as much that day. They had talked it over just the other night and Oriel had shut down to avoid crying. He mentioned something along the lines of cremation if they couldn't go through with the funeral. Oriel had only shrugged.

The doorknob turned and Oriel smiled, zipping over to the door as it opened. "Why is it snowing? It's supposed to be summer.." Ash said, shaking snow off her jacket. Oriel hugged her tight, snuggling into her. "The weather, the world, everything's gone to hell lately." Ash kicked the door closed and held her wife tightly in her arms as Oriel burst into tears. With Ash so close, she could finally let go as she wanted to in her aura of comfort and love. Ash's hold tightened around her. "It's going to be okay, baby, I'm here." Ash toted Oriel up the stairs and into her room. Oriel continued to cry, telling Ash everything, about her mother, constant struggles with the war, the current state the world was in. It seemed like nothing was getting better. Ash held her tight all the while as she listened, moving a hand to wipe her wife's tears away. "We just have to take things one day at a time, my love. First let's work on getting you back together. Your mother wouldn't want you stressing so much. She believed in you so much, Oriel. You can do this. You were born to be queen, to handle things as well as you have been. We're going to make it through this, I promise. No matter what.." Ash leaned in to kiss her cheek. "And if the world ends, I'll be right there with you. Until death and beyond." She smiled slightly and lifted her chin to kiss her lips. Oriel kissed back, snuggling into her as her tears finally stopped and she calmed down. She was just what she needed.

Ash cuddled Oriel until finally she had gone to sleep a few hours later. She left her room quietly, closing the door and she headed down the stairs. She hadn't had a bite to eat since she got back, and her stomach was growling. She walked into the kitchen, hoping to find some leftovers when she felt a presence join her. She noticed the scent and turned to see Scarlett peering at her from the shadows of the living room. The house was quiet as it was after midnight. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be guarding her Majesty?" Ash rose an eyebrow as she turned slightly, keeping Scarlett within sight as she opened the fridge. Scarlett's red eyes pierced the darkness and Ash narrowed her eyes as she smirked, walking over to her. "Oh, there're guards everywhere, I think I'm fine for now. Besides, I'd rather keep you company." Scarlett shrugged, walking over to her slowly. Ash's eyes widened slightly at that remark and she felt her cheeks flush a bit. What did she mean by that? "Mhm.." Ash went on, ignoring those words.

"Even when there was extra protection around, I always stayed close to Oriel."

Scarlett shrugged once more. "I think she's fine." She folded her arms across her chest, leaning against the table. Ash didn't know if she'd rather Scarlett hover around her or Oriel at the moment, something seemed off with Scarlett. Ash reached for a blood bag, passing up the three-course meal she noticed in the fridge. She'd be taking part in it if Scarlett didn't make her feel so.. off. It was weird. Like a mix of caution and allure all in one. She felt good yet repelled by her presence. "Wanna share?" Scarlett blurted out and Ash looked over to see her pulling two cups from the cabinet. She dangled them in front of Ash. She rose a brow. "What? I won't bite.. I could use a good drink. I'm famished for some reason." Scarlett smiled slightly, grabbing two straws and stuck them into the cups. Ash narrowed her eyes. "There's another one in the fridge if you want it." Ash moved to take a seat at the table and Scarlett rolled her eyes, setting the cups down and walked over to the fridge. Ash kept glancing at Scarlett as she removed the other blood bag from the fridge and she sat right next to her, grabbing a straw and poked a hole into her meal. Ash was already drinking hers down and watched Scarlett curiously. "You're staring at me.. why?" Scarlett asked, licking blood from her lips. "Do I look cute today?" Scarlett winked and Ash caught a glimpse of the Scarlett she used to know. Flirty and playful. Ash swallowed, rolling her eyes as she went back to her food. She's playing with me..