Chapter 37 - The high society

"Chicago, November 16th, 1902.

Dear Charles,

Today I'm going to accompany Flora and her mother for one of their worldly activities for the first time. I, who had sworn to Arthur that I would never try to frequent high society again. He must be laughing at me. But the stakes are different this time. These women don't just get together to talk about the upcoming ball while drinking tea. No, they have a real political agenda, real causes to support. Flora tells me that they are a true source of inspiration.

I hope I don't make fun of myself, I would hate embarrassing my friend who has done so much for me. She gave me some of her dresses, claiming they would look better on me than on her. That's a lie of course, but I'm thankful anyway. She didn't have to do that. It's just kindness. She has a heart of gold and would accept me if I wear any of my outfits. Except the cowboy one, probably!

But I know how these things work. And if I want to be able to hear these speeches, to be accepted, I must play the game of appearance. I would rather not depend on my friend's charity, but I cannot afford her rank.

Oh, but don't think I'm complaining. I'm already lucky to be here, to lack nothing and have such relationships without having to pretend to be someone else. My life is sweet, and thanks to Flora, I discover new things.

And you and I know what happens when you look too greedy for money. I prefer to receive frocks out of charity than to dive back into this mad rush.

I hope you are well, let me know about you, I find you very quiet these days.

Fondly,

Anna"

I put down my quill and went to get Hazel to help me put on my dress. She had helped me adjust it to my size. Before becoming a secretary, she had worked as a small hand in a tailor and had kept valuable knowledge of it. Before leaving, I took one last look in the mirror. A smile appeared on my lips. I couldn't help but think of Arthur and the mission on the boat off Saint-Denis. Today, nobody would have to cut my dress so that I could breathe.

In the cozy atmosphere of a tearoom, I let my friend guide me. There were groups of women of all ages there. A buffet topped with sweets had been prepared. I politely greeted those who came before me, trying to withhold all this new faces.

Then we sat down to listen to a woman speak. Today's topic was women's suffrage. I immediately thought of Penelope Braithwaite. She too had to be in a room like this in Boston, fighting for what she thought was right. I listened with interest to all the arguments. I did not always agree with them, especially those in favor of prohibition or good Christian morals. But I agreed on the goal: equality for women.

We discussed it on the way home. Mrs. Elliott complimented me, as much on my appearance as on my ideas. She invited me to accompany them again, and I soon became a regular at these meetings. Later, I even dared to speak about women of the Native tribes, on their unenviable fate and the shameful abuses committed by the army. They all listened to me, indignant, and many promised to speak to the right people to make a change.

This may seem like nothing, just a bunch of women talking around tea. But through hard work and discussion from these women, Illinois became the first state to ratify the suffrage for women, many years later.

----

"December 18th, 1902,

Anna,