Chapter 36

Unlike last year, Giuliano's birthday will simply be a feast in their colossal palazzo. When I got home, Aunt Simona asked for at least another 3 days of my stay in Florence after today. Not wanting to disappoint her, I agreed.

Even then, I decided to start packing. Knowing I cannot bring the clothes my mother handed down to me, I neatly arrange them on a chest by the foot of my bed.

According to Aunt Simona, my mother's favourite jewellery would be her necklace. It's a beaded necklace with a rectangular black stone encased in gold with three hanging beads at the bottom. She wore it only a few times but loved it dearly.

It was the gift of her mother before she left Genoa. Out of all the jewellery she has left for me, I decided to take this necklace instead. I decided that the ones I cannot bring with me will be placed back in the secret room my father has made.

I was arranging the letters and journals when Franzia enters the room. "Forgive me, but I think it's best you prepare for tonight's feast." Her voice is softer and lighter than usual and her smile does not meet the eyes.

Worried, I walk toward her and ask, "Is everything okay?"

She suddenly turned red and cry in front of me as she shakes her head yes. "Everything's alright. It's just that it's difficult to see you go."

Seeing her in a state like this hurts. I immediately pull her closer and hug her tightly. "Don't worry, everything's going to be fine. It will just be like how it's always been without me."

She hugs me back as she continues to weep. "I know it's not my place, but you have been so kind to me. You have treated me more as a friend than a chambermaid and it's more than I could have asked for."

I pull away and rub her arms to soothe her. "No, Franzia. You're not just my friend. You have also become my family." She cried even more and hugs me again.

After a while, she wipes her face and starts helping me prepare for tonight. Holding my gift in hand, I walk towards the palazzo alongside Semiramide. When we get inside, the palazzo is filled with people. Some are familiar and some I do not know.

As I scan the room, I noticed Bianca walking enthusiastically toward me with a grin. "Antonia!" She said as she gives me a warm hug. "I'm so happy to see you again."

"Likewise, Bianca," I said as I hug her back. When we let go, I instantly turn to Semiramide. "Allow me to introduce Semiramide," I said as the two women bowed toward each other.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Madonna," Semiramide said politely, making Bianca smile.

"Pleasure's all mine. Please, I insist you call me Bianca."

Then I suddenly spotted the birthday boy in the middle of the room. "If you'll excuse me, I just need to give this to our celebrant," I said then left Semiramide with Bianca.

As I got closer, I notice that he was surrounded by important people from the signoria. Not daring to interrupt, I decided to get some wine for myself. Sipping some wine, I noticed Botticelli on the other side of the room, talking to a multitude of people.

Perhaps about his works or they are possible patrons. When his eyes noticed me, I quickly turn away and walk around the room. It is then that I was approached by someone I have not expected.

"I heard you are coming tonight." She said as she smirks.

Lucrezia eyes me from head to toe with a glimmer of displeasure in her eyes. "Yes, Madonna. I was invited by your son, Giuliano."

She then switches her gaze from Giuliano then to me before responding. "I see you still have a grip on my son."

"I have done what you have asked. I have left your son. In a few days, you did not have to worry about me as I am leaving." Her face suddenly changed into a softer expression.